Jesper Olsen Running Around the World, Again!!!

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3 8:58 PM
      Jesper Olsen is a Danish runner who is in the process of completing a run around the world, for the second time! He first did it officially in 2004-2005. When he came through NYC in 2005 he met Sri Chinmoy and was honored by him. Sri Chinmoy lifted him, composed a song for him and talked with him at a function in his honor.

      Some of us got to run with him through Manhattan and parts of New Jersey. The first place he wanted to run when he arrived in Jamaica, Queens was a few laps around the 3100 mile race course. He follows the race on the internet every year and says that it inspires him very much.

      Abichal and I did a nice interview with Jesper back then as well. We also wrote an article about him with parts of the interview from back then.If I can find it again I will try to post it here. But for now I want to share a few comments that Jesper made recently. He was, and still is, very inspired by the 3100 mile race. I sent him a poem that I wrote about the 3100 many years ago and this is what he wrote back:

      "It offers another glimpse into the world and nature of the 3100 mile and a better understanding of it and their battle (which appear more forceful or intense than mine with its request, I imagine, for the participants to go into themselves to, spiritually, search for power to endure. For my part, since the route and surroundings constantly changes step by each step - it offers more chances to absorb energy from the outside and transform it into running. In that way, world running is sometimes easier, and to me the people who help are often the hero warriors - that go out of their way to make achievement possible for another person, often not even from their culture or part of their world. That amazes and inspires me! But myself; more I think at best to be like an instrument of nature or the universe and the better I can let its energy flow through me unhindered by my worries, my mind or confidence limits, tiredness or worldly distractions; or of what is normal or not normal to devote one's life to - the better the run proceeds. And the closer i become to not seeing nature, but becoming nature. My ideal, perhaps, is to be like the wind that flows through the trees or the currents pushing the water gently across oceans. Of course; on most days I'm just a very tired runner in absolute distraction :-)

      With best wishes of enjoyable running - from Florida where snow and ice is much missed !"
      Jesper

      Please check out his website with daily updates and photos as he comes north up the east coast of the U.S. He will reach NY in March and will come back from Boston in April to run in our Six Day Race just for fun. Here is the link to his website:
      www.worldrun.org

      Gratefully,
      Arpan