Re: The Honey Jar

  • nirnaya.yugoslavia
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2011
      This reminds me of a similar event that happened in the circle of my friends and relatives some 16 years ago, when a father lost his most precious son. While it was bad enough for all of us to deal with the loss, it was absolutely heart-wrenching to observe that man's pain. I mean really-really.. really(!) It seemed that stricken with such grief, a human being can not manage to live on.

      I saw that person recently, and he fully recovered, although it took a number of years. We shared some memories of long, long ago, and I noticed that he got, in a way, changed. Actually, strange to say, but the whole tragedy managed to bring forward some subtle quality that I would never expect.. some sort of appreciation for life that his old rigid, intellectual personality would never accept. I felt as if he was whispering between the lines: "I was wrong, there is something else, there has to be, it can not be just nothing, just- enjoy while you can then get annihilated, the emptiness, life must be something else or about something else".

      To finish up, I'll quote the very famous psychiatrist Carl Jung, from an interview where he talks about how something in us rejects death.

      C.Jung:
      "I have treated many old people and it's quite interesting to watch what is their Unconscious doing with the fact that it is apparently threatened with a complete end. It disregards it! Life believes as if it were going on. So I think it is better for an old person to live on, to look forward to the next day, as if he had to spend centuries. Then he lives properly. But when he is afraid, when he doesn't look forward, when he looks back, he petrifies, he gets stiff and he dies before his time. But when he lives on, looking for the great adventure that is ahead, then he lives... Of course, it's quite obvious that we all are going to die and this is the sad finale of everything, BUT, nevertheless, there is something in us that doesn't believe it, apparently. But this is merely a psychological fact, it doesn't mean to me that is proves something - it is simply so. I may not know why we need salt, but we prefer to eat salt because you feel better. And so if you think in a certain way, you may feel considerably better. And, I think, that if you think along the lines of nature, then you think properly."