Re: Some Selected 77,000 Service-Tree Poems

  • doris.cott
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
      Dear Sharani,

      You may not necessarily expect any help from me and I might not be the ideal adviser(if any) but I would like to share some of my personal views on what you were talking about.

      For me the Service Tree poems are daily companions. I believe that one whole volume deals with a specific consciousness or embodies a specific consciousness. Once I start a new volume (thanks to our group library in Winterthur and they are also online available) I feel that each and every poem is connected with one another and express a certain consciousness.

      I am wondering if the "people pleaser syndrome" you talked about is really typical for women. I am also not sure whether you are talking about approval in the sense of acceptance or in the sense of permission.

      Oops!? And now I had just to read this poem:

      32337
      "Freedom comes
      Only after we have completed
      The journey."

      -Sri Chinmoy
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1454/337

      I personally find it easier to take refuge in what I learned from the master: We are the soul. It is neither female nor male. I remember that I read in Guru's writings that we should not even call someone boss or chef because it would weaken his/her soul (unofficial). I hope I do not sound all too wise-cracking, I do not know anything...

      About the second poem:

      "Each human being is
      A Blessing-Compassion-Vision-
      Promise-Song
      Of God."
      Sri Chinmoy, Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 16, Agni Press, 1999.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1329/562

      "No clause disallowing unsavory characters..." you said.

      Synchronicity, synchronicity! I just watched a film about the new and old testament. Christ forgave Saulus who was one of the worst...against him and others. He sent his apostle Petrus to him when Saulus was praying to God most intensely after he had lost his eye-sight. Petrus was able to cure him in Christ's name and Saulus became most devoted to Jesus. Even for Petrus this was an illuming incident - He loves all! The sun shines for all!

      I really wish to realize this truth becoming more aware of it's power and live by it. I don't know how long the way is!!!

      Well, these are my two cents...others may be more capable of discussing the matter. :- )

      You will be moved when you read this poem like I was when I read it first:

      "I become beauty incomparable
      When God places His Hand
      On my heart."

      -Sri Chinmoy
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1454/322

      * * *

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2011
        Thank you, Doris, for these inspiring poems by Guru....

        with gratitude, Kamalakanta
      • purnakama2000
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2011
          Sharani, there must be something in the air. This poem and discourse on people pleasing is very timely for me today.

          Glad I stopped in and read today.

          Thanks for the inspiration of Guru's writing!

          Purnakama
        • nirnaya.yugoslavia
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 9, 2011
            > "You can never free yourself
            > If you depend only on
            > Man's approval."
            > Sri Chinmoy, Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 16, Agni Press, 1999.

            Great choice of poems, Doris and Sharani. What cathes my attention here is that "Man's" is in singular, not plural. Hmm, who could be that single man whose approval mustn't be solely relied upon? Could it be our very own ourselves? The one who knows well the bundle of splendid traditions that made us what we are, our ways and modes of acting and thinking, our language, our world, our full background, our capacities and preferances and even possibilities? If that man was to give the approval first, even when he is spiritually grown to some extent, how much real newness would ever be done? Not in everyone's case, but, often just accepting a spiritual path may well go against our own pre-approval, in a way. Or something more mundane... how about when feeling soo lazy and unwiling to go for a run, and then you kinda force yourself into it, and than the great feeling afterwards: totally un-pre-approved yet so thankworthy.

            Nirnaya
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 10, 2011
              Hi Doris,
              I am intrigued by your sense that an entire volume of Service-Tree poems embodies a certain conscious. The concept is new for me and the next book of 1,000 poems that I read I will keep this idea in my awareness while I read. I hope others chime in if they have had similar perceptions.

              You are right - I do love this poem you ended your post with.

              "I become beauty incomparable
              When God places His Hand
              On my heart."

              -Sri Chinmoy
              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1454/322

              Hopefully I will write more soon but I wanted to at least briefly write back to you in appreciation of your thought-provoking reply.

              Best Wishes,