Sorbus domestica

  • nirnaya.yugoslavia
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2011
      "Sorbus domestica (Service Tree) is a species of Sorbus native to western, central and southern Europe, northwest Africa (Atlas Mountains), and southwest Asia (east to the Caucasus)... It is a deciduous tree growing to 15–20 m (rarely to 30 m) tall with a trunk up to 1 m diameter, though can also be a shrub 2–3 m tall on exposed sites...It is a long-lived tree, with ages of 300–400 years estimated for some in Britain. The largest and perhaps oldest known specimen in Europe is near the town of Strážnice in the province of Moravia, Czech Republic. Its trunk measures 458 cm in circumference, with a crown 11 m high and 18 m across. It is estimated to be around 400 years old." (from Wikipedia)

      ---

      Sri Aurobindo's Samadhi is in the shade of a Service Tree. From a disciple's testimony: "Mother wanted Sri Aurobindo's Samadhi to be under the Service Tree in the Ashram courtyard... the body was carried by the sadhaks to the Ashram courtyard under the Service tree..."

      ---

      Sri Chinmoy, Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees:

      A service-tree gives and gives.
      Therefore it always lives
      In our gratitude-heart.
      #43188 (unofficial)

      If you can strengthen your faith-roots,
      Then God will bless you
      With a world-service-tree.
      #26069 (unofficial)

      Eternal happiness
      Grows on
      Life's service-tree.
      #45180 (unofficial)

      Nirnaya
    • doris.cott
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2011
        Thanks for this interesting information. I didn't know something like a Service Tree would exist. Perhaps the tree in the park in Pondicherry where Guru stopped his pulse (I believe he did it two times) was also a Service Tree?

        Thanks for the poems, I may post one (and a few selected ones in a separate post)for everybody's inspiration from Part 39, a special edition with beautiful bird drawings in the middle of the book and one handwritten poem:

        38500

        "My Journey's Half!
        You and I
        Are the silver-tears