Broken But Blessed

  • doris.cott
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2011
      I am someone who strives for perfection.

      Living right above a Madal Bal store brings along broken things from time to time. May it be a Buddha statue without toes, an 'incomplete' Krishna baby eating butter, a ghoose with a broken tale, the list is long.

      Recently when I was about to visit the store before I knew what was happening a rather big statue of Ganesha with broken feet lay in my arms: "Can you take care of him?" "Sure I will." I had to use superglue to 'operate' him but one foot was missing at all. How can he ever dance again? I found a nice place for him on our terrace in the south as it was said Ganesha's power was stronger when placed in this direction. I decorated him with a garland and put artificial lotus flowers around him.

      Not much later a short but intense storm tossed in our region. Though lasting only for a few minutes (which I believe is unusual) the storm coming from the north swept away lots of things including our new friend in the south on the terrace. Sadly he had lost his head, two of his four arms and what was worse - his sweet, little trunk. Disassembled he was lying in one corner when I found him. I took his parts up to my room and tried to glue them together which was difficult. God knows what kind of material he was made of. Now he found a peaceful place next to my shrine, God alone knows why he had to loose his head twice (I am sure everybody knows the story of Ganesha.)

      Still it made me ponder the meaning of it. In my care he had to lose his head again. Whenever I look at this god I am puzzled. Wasn't he an innocent child when his father, jealous, cut off his head?

      I am also wondering why broken things keep coming to me. When I think back I remember how sad I was when I broke the only glas of fresh, homemade raspberry jam (that so much reminded me of a happy time I spent with nature's beauty, ironically a place where I helped a dear friend restoring a castle) in the middle of Leipzig's train station. But this was long ago.

      Not so long ago I bought an angel made of glas and metal Guru had drawn soulbirds on. Somehow I was not even present when it broke. Like a miracle the upper and the lower part of the angel are still sticking together and the birds are not 'injured'.

      Even my tiny golden statue of Guru was broken already when I purchased it (a little at the base almost invisible) and later, again during my absence, someone dropped it (maybe it was the wind) but glued it very carefully - a miracle?

      Well, I have fond memories of Guru blessing the statue so I am still happy with my broken but blessed things. Buddha, Krishna, Ganesha and who knows who will be next! :-)

      PERFECTION

      "Perfection
      Smiles at justice-light.
      Perfection