He said He said

  • nirnaya.yugoslavia
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2011
      I'm all the time inspired by how different seems the flow of poetry of two great spiritual masters, Sri Aurobindo and our Guru. One elaborate in detail yet always precise like a surgeon's knife, the other quite concise.

      Here's a small comparison where they, at least as it sounds to me, address similar issues.

      Sri Aurobindo's quotes are taken from his epic Savitri, and Guru's from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, as enumerated below.

      1. About erring of the mind

      The mind of mortal man is led by words,
      His sight retires behind the walls of Thought
      And looks out only through half-opened doors.
      He cuts the boundless Truth into sky-strips
      And every strip he takes for all the heavens.
      (Book VI, Canto II)

      Each thought is a gold coin with bright alloy
      And error and truth are its obverse and reverse:
      This is the imperial mintage of the brain
      And of this kind is all its currency.
      (Book X, Canto IV)

      -versus-

      The mind takes the wrong start,
      The mind runs on the wrong track
      And, finally,
      The mind arrives at the wrong goal.

      (- Sri Chinmoy #14356 (unofficial)

      2. About human destiny being fixed yet not being fixed by Divinity

      A Magician's formulas have made Matter's laws
      And while they last, all things by them are bound;
      But the spirit's consent is needed for each act
      And Freedom walks in the same pace with Law.
      All here can change if the Magician choose.
      Fate is a balance drawn in Destiny's book.
      Man can accept his fate, he can refuse.
      Even if the One maintains the unseen decree
      He writes thy refusal in thy credit page..
      (Book VI, Canto II)

      -versus-

      My destiny lies
      Not in my Lord's Hands,