Re: Game Change

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2011
      Hi Purnakama,
      Thank-you for commenting on my post about teaching. It is an eye-opening observation to witness how something so simple can lift one out of whatever trouble or despondency is knocking at the door.

      I suppose that there is a certain similarity in comparison to when people have talked about the inner benefits experienced by teaching meditation classes.

      Happy Teaching!
      Sharani
    • abanna27
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2011
        Hi Sharani & Purnakama,
        I am enjoying your conversation about teaching having the effect of lifting one's consciousness from "troubles and despondency." I agree whole-heartedly. In my experience (as a preschool teacher) teaching "gets me out of myself" (or you could say it gets me *over* myself!) It is simply not possible to be "fully present" for a class and cherish negative thoughts or feelings at the same time. I am very grateful I work in a profession that asks this of me every day.

        Teaching is not the only pastime where I have this experience. I feel it when working as a hostess in a restaurant, phoning hotels on behalf of the World Harmony Run, or other times I am in a position to offer service to people. I am representing an organization or an ideal and I feel accountable to myself during these interactions.

        When one is miserable or in a funk, there is a tendency to shy away from activities of self-offering, but selfless service is a sure ticket out.

        Abanna