Poetry

  • purnakama2000
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 8, 2011
      I was just reading and revelling in one of the latest books published called " Live in the Eternal Now".
      It was our Celebrations book and it is transcriptions of talks given by Guru at different places over the years.

      Each talk is yet another window into our Guru's inner and outer existence.

      In one talk Guru was encouraging his disciples to write poetry and share it with others, so Doris, thank you so much for your poetry, and please keep sharing.

      If anyone was not able to aquire this book, I highly reccomend borrowing a copy and reading it.
      Savour it slowly.
      Most inspirational.

      Thanks to all who had a hand in compiling and publishing it.

      Purnakama
    • doris.cott
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 13, 2011
        Dear Purnakama,

        Still reading the book it had/has a tangible impact on me too. Thank you for mentioning it. I am not sure Guru was particularly talking about me but it is true that I like to write poems. There are other times when I just let them fly away.

        Two simple ones I may share, but only because of your encouragement. Thank *you* so much.

        Twice

        I am sad;
        The progress-boat
        Left without me.
        I am sad;
        I am not left alone
        At shore.

        I am happy;
        It was not the last boat.
        I am happy;
        A seat was reserved
        For me.

        -Doris
      • brahmata13
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 13, 2011
          Yes! I was also quite taken with this book. Although I may change my mind later, I think I will go so far as to say it is currently my favorite of Guru's books. It has this quality that it feels like so much more than just prose, like every word is being spoken to you directly.

          I found this particular section, where Guru was encouraging his disciples to write and share poetry and songs, particularly fascinating. Guru talks about his significant artistic creations and contributions to humanity and how he will be so grateful to us if we can share these things with others. Then he goes on to say; "You should also write and express yourself." and he suggests that we form "secret and sacred clubs" to share our music and poetry with one another.

          What a concept! I love it.

          So I think I will try it out, invite some kindred spirits and have somewhat of an open mic.

          I would let you know how it goes, but if I post about it it won't be so "secret and sacred" anymore, will it?

          Hmmm... rule #1 of poetry club: do not talk about poetry club! :)

          In the meantime, my brothers and sisters, enjoy reading and enjoy creating.

          -Brahmata
        • doris.cott
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 14, 2011
            Hi,

            I like to imagine how Guru is watching his earthly children marvelling over his holy and insightful words:

            He also said in "The Branches Of My Life-Tree":

            "I have been a poet all my life. At the age of four or five, I started trying to rhyme in Bengali. Then at the age of seven, I was able to dictate poems to my brother Chitta."

            "If I could express all these lofty realisations on a plane infinitely higher than the English language or the Bengali language, then only would I do justice to them."

            "Many, many of my poems will touch the inmost depths of your aspiring heart. If you can dive deep within the heart of my poetry, you will see that you can get so much out of three or four lines."

            I love all of Guru's writings with no exception. I was very surprised to read the following:

            "If you want to march towards the goal with confidence, then read my prose. Again, if you want to just run towards the goal, faster than the fastest, while your entire being is flooded with softness and tenderness, than you can read my poetry." (unofficial)
          • purnakama2000
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 16, 2011
              Yes Doris it is interesting that Guru would say that, but it really makes sense. Guru wrote prose to feed our hungry western intelectual minds, but he wrote poetry to feed our hearts and souls. The heart always runs faster than the mind, although the mind likes to think it's the other way around :)

              And speaking of poetry, another fantastic book that I picked up at Celebrations was put together by Karpani and friends from Oneness Dreamboat shore.
              It's called "The Golden Bridge Between Man and God".

              It is a large collection of Guru's poetry, artfully categorized with topics such as "Pleasing the Master", "My Master's Life Transforming Touch", and "Lean on Me".
              Most of the poems are brand new to me and absolutely speak to the heart.
              I will leave a few here before I sign off.

              And please keep writing and sharing your poems. I still marvel that English is not your first language.

              "My Master's affection for me
              is endless
              And expects nothing in return."

              "Just as the Supreme
              Has made your Master His supremely chosen instrument,
              Even so at His choice Hour,
              The Supreme will make you
              His supremely chosen instrument.
              Just be obedient, be patient,
              Inwardly and outwardly."

              "You place your Master's picture
              Upon your heart,
              And your Master keeps your picture
              In the very depths of his heart."

              "You may not see
              anything significant in your life,
              But if the Master sees something significant in your life,
              Then have implicit faith in him."

              "Because of his identification-oneness,
              Where his spiritual children are,
              The Master is there,"