OT Cuba to Florida swim at age 61 - self-transcendence over 50

  • vasanti_hd
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2011
      While we are still in the ultra ultra self-transcendence-world at age 50 plus - and back to swimmming :) - here is someone who is another great example of Guru`s philsophy that age knows no (or hardly any) boundaries:

      at this moment (as I am writing) Diana Nyad, a world famous long distance swimmer in her youth, is attempting, at age 61, to fulfil a dream she had to abandon in her younger years after some 41 hours in the water: swimming the 103 miles from Cuba to Florida. She expects it will take her at least 60 (you get slower with age, but maybe wiser? at least more experienced...). She started from Cuba on Sunday evening, 7:45 p.m. ET, and here is her tracker:
      http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2011/07/specials/map.diana.nyad/index.html
      and her blog:
      http://diananyad.com/blog/

      "To swim between these two neighbors, Cuba & the United States, who've been strangers all these years, is a moving thing for me", she says on twitter. And in her press conference she said: "I love Cuba and I would like my attempt to serve to connect these two countries."

      The swim has been done before - in 1996 - in a shark cage by Suzie Maroney from Australia (who has been one of our special guests at the Zurich Lake self-transcendence marathon swim), at age 22 in some 24 hours. Diana now is protected by two kayakers with electric shark shields (that don`t seem to work on white tips, however!).

      Yannis Kouros once ran three days without sleep in one of our races, but swimming is much more deprived of sensory stimulus. It is hard to imagine how she will be able to make it - but just the determination, faith, fearlessness and courage to follow her dream is amazing and inspiring!

      Vasanti

      "Never allow anyone
      To clip the silver wings
      Of your golden dreams."

      Sri Chinmoy, Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 82
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0665/24