The 3100 Mile Race offers deep wisdom to ponder

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2011
      With at least 3100 thank-yous to Utpal and his his coverage of this race as well as the race posts at the 3100 mile race website, I feel that I am a race bystander even if I barely visit it in person.

      Like oxygen quietly inhaled without conscious thought, I find after the fact that invariably there are life lessons and wise utterances to contemplate after reading about the race or listening to an interview uploaded to Utpal's blog.

      One day it might be a meditation on gratitude after reading that Igor asked for "My Own Gratitude Heart" to be sung after he completed 3100 miles. Or a gratitude contemplation after reading Ananda Lahari's words on Day 38 of the race:

      "...For me this was like a lesson for my whole life. There is always something that you can be grateful for. We don't need to be stuck in our problems. Because if we do we will lose so much."

      "I was not even aware what was happening here. This was the lesson, be grateful for as many things as possible. Then life is much easier, and more colorful. You will get much more from life. We can spend our whole life being blocked by problems. We can miss the beauty of life that is around us and within us."

      Another day it might be flood of memories of my own experiences of encouragement through divine "coincidences" after reading and listening to Atmavir's interview on July 15th in which he describes how he saw the white car that Guru used to come in to visit the race suddenly drive by at moments when he was feeling discouraged.
      http://perfectionjourney.org/2011/07/15/july-15-stay-cheerful/#more-18897

      Pranjal's words about using the capacities that God gives you will have me pondering for days how I can surmount the barriers in my daily life that prevent me from sharing and fulfilling my God-given capacities. In an uploaded audio interview, he states,

      "This race will change you. Once you go through this race something inside you will change forever. You learn something about yourself. You will find capacity within yourself that you hadn't even dreamed about before."

      "You have no idea how hard this race is. You can't even think or imagine how hard it is. Only after you have done it can you realize how hard it is. It is really really hard to even imagine. What you have to go through."

      "I mean in my case, I was given the capacity to do it. So from my point of view it is my duty to use this capacity." He the suggests that because of this he has to simply go on until the capacity is then taken away.

      "Any capacity that you have been given by God you have to use it. It doesn't matter what the capacity is. Otherwise it will be taken away. It is some kind of grace. This capacity which we get here is a kind of grace. So we have to use it. Otherwise it is just wasted. I don't think that it is my capacity I feel that it came from somewhere above."

      "It is not that I want or don't want to run. I will do it as long as I have the capacity to do it."

      "I am giving my best only here."

      Congratulations to the 4 runners who have completed the 3100 miles and best of luck to all still running until the race's end in a few days.

      -Sharani
    • pavaka_cambrian
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2011
        Very inspiring!! I really wanted to drive down to NYC to see the race before it finished, but unfortunately it won't happen this year. What is the best way to convey thoughts and wishes to the runners? I think about the race a lot and draw upon the concept and inspiration in my daily life all the time. Throughout the year. I imagine that I am not the only one who does this and maybe doesn't express it enough. This race really has an unfathomable impact! A gazillion 'thank you's to the runners!

        Pavaka
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2011
          I spent forever trying to find out how to pass along messages to the runners. I believe it is mentioned on Utpal's blog here:
          http://perfectionjourney.org/2011/07/23/july-23-race-postponed-24-hours/