Father's Day in New York

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2011
      This past Sunday we celebrated Father's Day in Jamaica, Queens from very early in the morning until the evening. Actually, we started celebrating the night before during the evening function at Aspiration-Ground.

      There were many performances, mostly musical, with the theme of the Father. At the entrance to Aspiration-Ground was a beautiful photo of Sri Chinmoy smiling like the true Spiritual Father that he was and holding three Gratitude-Flowers in his right hand. Underneath was a poem which he wrote many years ago and turned it into a song which was sung a number of times at the function. The words, in both Bengali and English, are:
      "Tumi naha sudhu pita,
      Tumi shaswata mita."

      "Supreme,
      You are not only my Highest Father,
      You are my Eternal Friend."

      After the musical performances and a few plays, we watched some very inspiring videos of Sri Chinmoy on the giant screen. The meditations that are shown in these videos are quite powerful and real as they capture the true essence of our Spiritual Father's consciousness.

      On Sunday morning there was the traditional Fathers's Day Marathon held around the High School across from the 3100 mile race. Sri Chinmoy himself started this tradition about 30 years ago.About 25 participants started at 7 a.m. on a very nice morning as the 3100 mile runners were already on their daily route. To see photos and stories about these two races go to: http://3100.srichinmoyraces.org/

      Starting at around noon the international Bhajans Singing Group offered a soulful performance of devotional songs written by Sri Chinmoy, including 'Tumi Naha Sudhu Pita', which we all joined in on several times. There were many more musical performances by local musicians and many visitors from around the world as well.

      We also had walking meditations and other special events such as a new poetry book of poems that were never published before called, "When I Remember God's Smiles". There were also special items sold from the Jharna-Kala tables and lots of Prasad and wonderful meals provided during the day as well. It was a true mini-celebration of sorts on a beautiful not too hot, late spring day.

      One could not ask for more in terms of soulfulness and sweetness during this special Father's Day event. When it was over in the late afternoon the Aspiration-Ground was still open until 9 p.m. and some people, especially visitors, just could not seem to leave. The following poem by Sri Chinmoy is perfectly appropriate in trying to express this feeling at the end of such a memorable day:

      "My Lord, my Lord Supreme,
      Father's Day is over,
      But from You, O our Eternity's Father,
      Your infinite Compassion-Light
      And Your immortal Forgiveness-Delight
      Will never, never be over."
    • abanna27
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 23, 2011
        Hello everybody. I am just back from Father's Day weekend in New York. What a wonderful time to visit. The summer was gentle, with temperatures in the 80's and a soft breeze. Aspiration-Ground is lush with greenery and fragrant with flowers. Early morning meditations were hosted by a special group of "locals" - the cardinals, robins, catbirds, and sparrows. One morning, a squirrel scaled a decorative spire to survey the scene from the stage.

        The 3100-mile race had entered its second week, with the runners showing dedication, strength and good cheer. The race seems to subtly permeate the whole area, not just the course. I felt a great sense of peace in its constancy as the runners circle their ½ mile course over and over and over from 6am to midnight, day after day. Kind of like a giant, slowly-turning aspiration-wheel, whose energy radiates outward like a spiral galaxy as it spins.

        There was a dynamic contrast on Saturday, when the fast-paced 2-mile race was held just across the street, perhaps 50 feet away from the 3100 race. On Sunday, the 26.2 mile Father's Day Marathon was held just across the street from the 3100. You could really feel the self-offering of the marathon runners, some of whom started at 4:30am to finish before other commitments. For the 3100 runners, it was Day 9 and four of them would go on to break 600 miles cumulative that day.

        On Father's Day, there was a special function at Aspiration-Ground. There were flower and incense offerings, performances by the Sri Chinmoy Bhajan Singers and many other performers, aloo pie prasad, Chittagong Chai Hut, a special family meal, a miniature Jharna-Kala "fair" and a walk-past Guru's house.

        Two new books became available: "Mother Teresa: Humanity's Flower-Heart, Divinity's Fragrance-Soul" and "When I Remember God's Smiles." The Mother Teresa book is "A Compilation of Excerpts in Honour of Mother Teresa's Birth Centenary by Sri Chinmoy." "When I Remember God's Smiles" is a book of 216 poems written over a span of many years. From the preface: "Illumining, inspiring, and ever-charming, these poems will be especially cherished, as it is anticipated that this will be the last volume of previously unpublished poetry by Sri Chinmoy."

        Your Spiritual Sister,
        Abanna