"Broken"

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2011
      Hi!

      A few years ago I did an improvisation using a Gamelan sound. While doing it, I was trying to figure out what I was actually expressing, as the improvisation was quite unique in style and character. The feeling that came to me is "something is broken".

      This happened after Sri Chinmoy's passing, so I felt my life was broken a bit. I am still trying to pick up the pieces....

      It is part of my arranging method or style, that sometimes, when I receive a good musical idea, I try to find a song by Sri Chinmoy that matches that idea. The usual method is to harmonize a melody and so on, but music is a free flow; it does not always come in a linear way. So I have tried to learn to accept, appreciate and even surrender to the flow of music; to have an open mind and heart, so that the creative process is always true.

      This past week I was checking out some drone sounds, and the feeling came that they might work with this particular improvisation, and with a song by Sri Chinmoy that I had chosen to be used with this improvisation. The song is called "Deher Byetha":

      DEHER BYETHA

      Deher byetha praner byetha hiyar byetha balbo kare

Britha ami ghure berai baddha taba dware

      Translation

      Physical pain, mental pain, psychic pain whom can I tell?

In vain I roam at God's closed Door.

      Songbooks
      Swadeshe Bideshe Ghuriya Berai    [song #10]

      It is indeed a sad song...and it might express how Sri Chinmoy felt when he composed it, but it also expressed how I felt about his leaving the earth arena.

      This is, for me, one of the beautiful things about Sri Chinmoy's songs and poetry: he is able to identify with and express my own feelings and state of consciousness, no matter what it is. And there is another thing that I find very endearing: in Sri CChinmoy's ongs, when the seeker is expressing a spiritual sorrow, let us say, the sorrow of separation form the Divine, there is beauty in that! A healing beauty of self-awareness! The fact that there is a yearning for a higher state of consciousness, for a union with the Divine, is a great blessing!

      Here is the download link to the arrangement; it is for voice and a few instruments. Hopefully you will enjoy it! (Note: when you go to the download link, choose "Regular Download". It is free.)

      Download link:
      http://www.sendspace.com/file/nze1yq

      I include here a few poems by Sri Chinmoy, poems that include the word "broken":

      A Broken Wing
      Aspiration-cry I have totally lost.
And now
Each fleeting breath of mine
Is a broken wing
In destruction-night.
      Sri Chinmoy, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, Part 11, Agni Press, 1981.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0418/8

      God Consoles The Broken-Hearted...

      God consoles the broken-hearted
      Only when He sees
      That they are going to become sincere,
      Self-giving and God-aspiring.
      Sri Chinmoy, Two God-Amusement-Rivals: My Heart-Song-Beauty And My Life-Dance-Fragrance, Part 8, Agni Press, 1996.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1138/1/40

      O My Mind, ...
      O my mind,
Time and again

      You have broken my heart

      With false promises.

      You are so cruel!
You are such a liar!

Even though my heart is broken,

      It is healing the wounds

You have inflicted on my dedication-life.
      Sri Chinmoy, O My Mind, Agni Press, 1988.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0726/1/72

      O My Broken Heart

      O my broken heart,

I tell you something in supreme secrecy:
      You are only one side of the reality-coin.

      Look on the other side

At what is shining bright.

      It is the Golden Shore, the Golden Shore -
Look!

Today your name is disappointment.

Tomorrow your name will be

      God's Satisfaction supreme.
      Sri Chinmoy, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, Part 35, Agni Press, 1982.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0502/26

      God has broken my mind

      So that my heart can claim

      His Life as its very own.
      Sri Chinmoy, Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 21, Agni Press, 1984.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0601/82

      You do not need anybody else

To repair your broken heart.

That is God's job,

And He will gladly do it for you.
      Sri Chinmoy, Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 55, Agni Press, 1984.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0635/41

      Many times I have fallen,

But I will never allow myself

To be broken.

      This is my solemn promise

      To my Inner Pilot Supreme.
      Sri Chinmoy, Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 135, Agni Press, 1990.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0774/71

      Once you accept

The spiritual life,

Your mind's uncertainties

      You must shatter

      And place the broken pieces

      At the Feet of your Lord Supreme.
      Sri Chinmoy, Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 166, Agni Press, 1992.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0833/51

      This moment
      Life is a broken hope.
      Next moment
      Life is a God-fulfilment-promise.
      Sri Chinmoy, Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 2, Agni Press, 1998.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1207/724

      And, lastly, here is a poem that I published here in 2008, a few months after Sri Chinmoy's Mahasamadhi"

      I AM ALIVE AT YOUR FEET
      "My heart is a river of unshed tears,
      A dam bursting at the seams, breaking from holding
      The torrent of sorrow.

      My Lord, my life was crumbling
      When you gave me refuge at Your Lotus-Feet.

      Your departure from the earthly arena
      Left me in a sea of despair,
      My heart broken, my mind unhinged.

      In my self-enforced loneliness
      I have dared to doubt Your concern for me,
      Thinking that maybe, in Your Eyes
      I might not be worthy of it.

      Yet Your love for me
      Is manifest in myriad ways,
      Minute and yet too numerous to count.

      You are soft, like a quiet breeze
      That soothes my embattled heart.
      You are sweet, like the water from a sacred brook
      That freshens my worn-out human breath.
      You are warm and loving,
      Like the sun that touches me in the morning,
      Bathing me in its pure light.

      In my hours of darkest night,
      When I felt myself lost and defeated,
      You always came to my rescue.