Good Friday

  • doris.cott
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23 7:42 AM
      It was a quiet morning as shops were closed and the usual hustle and bustle failed to appear. A glance out of the window replaces almost any morning meditation. Several plane trees in secret agreement had decided to give birth to countless of gentle leaves simultaneously.

      For a moment I forgot that my hands and feet were stiff, and with a few 'ouches' I managed to get up and walk like my own grandmother through the corridor knowing it was only a matter of a few minutes and the pain would be gone. Sweet flower-fragrance streamed into the open window and made me smile. Heavenly! Like another meditation!

      I thought of Jesus as obvious on this day but still being a bit sleepy I struggled to remember whether it was his resurrection or crucifixion anniversary. Impossible...

      The sun sneaked over the roofs and reminded me that it was high time to meditate. I couldn't believe tiny duties can take so long. For a second I was angry with the human time changers but who cares if you can't change them. In Autumn they will give the stolen hour back.

      I rushed back to my room according to a grandmother's speed and sitting in front of my shrine I sang a song for Jesus Guru composed many years ago trying to be soulful. It is a sad song but Guru's songs have all an uplifting effect. His ever so gracious Light began to emerge from his transcendental picture, filling the room and my heart with joy. I have learned to accept it as I often believe I don't deserve it.

      But I learned a lot from Alan Nazareth who received from Guru the U-Thant Peace Award in October 2007 two days before Guru's departure to heaven. Alan declared he would not deserve the award but he would accept it because it came from Sri Chinmoy.

      Once my mind starts roaming I can forget about meditation and as I heared voices in front of my room where two women loudly prepared for a run I used the chance to join them before my mind was able to hesitate and convince me I can't run. A smiling glance at Guru's picture and off we were.

      In an attempt of self-transcendence I tried to keep pace with them though I knew my knees would not obey and naturally I would have to fall back and say goodbye to them. I followed them with my eyes as they run up a steep hilly path that lead to the forest. Choking back tears I walked down the road probably keeping the head low, otherwise I might have overseen the joyful daisies swiftly shaking their little heads in the warm and mild wind. How pretty daisies can be!

      The summary temperatures made it easy for me to quickly be consoled and instead of walking back home I broke out in a new direction and soon after found myself in an enchanted forest where even quicklier forgotten were pain and tears.

      Accepting my stuffed pockets filled with keys, sunglasses and photo camera I walked up the hill surrounded by the sweetest chirping of birds singing generously and unconditionally. My knees were still revolting and the back joined them but I didn't care, I found a rhythm of slow walking bearable and only after three hours I went back happily.

      To be frank I didn't think much of Jesus but rather would have loved to share nature's beauty with all the suffering people around the world. If anybody likes one can view some pictures I took in the forest and around.

      http://gallery.srichinmoycentre.org/members/doris_cott/A_+Walk_On_Good_Friday/

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24 4:25 PM
        Thanks for sharing these lovely nature photos from your walk on Good Friday. I also enjoyed when you shared the early Spring Flowers recently. They looked like an elf might pop out from behind a flower any minute!
        http://gallery.srichinmoycentre.org/members/doris_cott/flowers/Early_Springflowers/
        Spring is much further along there than near my house. We are still in the midst of daffodils and forsythia, although some trees have just begun to flower in Rhode Island. By the beginning of May trees will have some just opened leaves.

        Happy Easter!
        Sharani
      • doris.cott
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 25 2:50 PM
          I am sure your camera would have made much better quality photos! :-)

          And yes, nature *is* much further along not only compared to the US. It is a higgledy-piggledy hotch-potch of flowers that usually blossom at least a month later!

          We had a very nice Monday evening meditation and sang songs from the songbook "Jesus The Seeker, Christ Savior". I especially liked the "He Param Pita Songs." They are not as sad as "Kross Bedanai".

          Here are two of them:

          http://tinyurl.com/3few2tb
          http://tinyurl.com/4xx3n93

          * * *