Re: ChiRunning and Ultras

  • purna_samarpan
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2011
      Hi,

      I try to shed some light on the subject.

      First of all minimal shoes and ChiRunning perfectly go together!

      I have been running since last summer in my Nike Frees and Saucony Kinvara which are both kind of minimal, also not as minimal as the Five Fingers.

      I think what is really important is to keep in my that change takes time.
      So if switching to a more minimal shoes do it with gradual progress, otherwise you might run into an Injury. And I heard of quite some cases in our community.

      On the other hand it seems to me that just changing the shoe does not necessary mean to change the running technique!
      Change of technique takes conscious effort.

      For example the five fingers might prevent you from heel striking,and you knee problems might be gone but if you start landing on your forefoot and push of hard with your toes, your calves, achilles and plantar tendon might be suffering now from the extra burden.

      On the other hand I also saw people "overstriding" with five fingers, which means they where reaching out to much in front of their hips and then they have to land on their heels.

      Smaller steps and higher cadence is the answer, if you can lean into the run, your stride will open up behind you and you can add a nice pelvic rotation to use the force of the road coming at you.

      The foot works best if you land with the whole foot, there are two arches in the foot, on the inner side and the methatarsal area.
      As we all know, brides, or aqueducts are a very stable contsruction, but in order to work they have to be supported on both sides, that why it is important to land with the whole foot and distribute the weight; this can only happen if we land under our centre of gravity, so never step past your hips!

      I was thinking myself to offer a free ChiRunning Workshop , maybe 3hours for the SCMT members in NY after the Race in Summer.
      I guess the best day would be Saturday, 6th of August, around 11 o clock, so there is time for breakfast after our weekly two mile race.

      Because it is always to talk or write about something, but these things have to be experienced!

      Finally this is a link to articles on Chirunning.com about minimal running shoes:
      http://www.chirunning.com/search/results/bWluaW1hbCBydW5uaW5nIHNob2Vz/

      Enjoy running in Spring!

      Purna-Samarpan