Remain Happy

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14, 2011
      Hi!

      Today I am inspired by the phrase "Remain Happy". So here are a few quotes (unofficial) by Sri Chinmoy with this wonderful phrase:

      "Be happy and remain happy. Forget about your mistakes, Even the very last one"— So says my Lord Supreme.
      Sri Chinmoy, My Christmas-New Year-Vacation Aspiration-Prayers, Part 30, Agni Press, 2004.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1473/2/74

      My Supreme, my Supreme, my Supreme,
      Finally, I have come to realise
      That to be happy and remain happy
      We must forget the past,
      We must!
      To be happy and remain happy
      We must love and serve the present,
      We must!
      To be happy and remain happy
      We must prepare ourselves for the future,
      We must, we must!
      My Supreme, my Supreme, my Supreme!

      Sri Chinmoy, My Morning Soul-Body Prayers, Part 2, Agni Press, 1999.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1280/1/53

      WE ALWAYS REMAIN HAPPY

      When I see my Lord Supreme In the Heaven of Freedom-light, I tell Him What I shall really do for Him On earth. He believes me; Therefore He always remains happy. When I see my Lord Supreme In the world of bondage-night, He tells me What He will really do for me In Heaven. I believe Him; Therefore I always remain happy.

      Sri Chinmoy, The Golden Boat, Part 14, Agni Press, 1974.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0110/1/12

      YOU WILL BE HAPPY

      Step beyond your mind.

      You will be really happy.

      Remain inside your heart.

      You will be divinely happy.

Fly with your soul.

      You will be supremely happy.

      Sri Chinmoy, My Life-Tree, Agni Press, 1975.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0223/1/39

      The Supreme has a special message

      For you:
"Be happy and remain happy!"

      Sri Chinmoy, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, Part 93, Agni Press, 1983.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0567/3

      If you can be soulfully happy

And remain happy,

      God considers it

      Your real meditation.

      Sri Chinmoy, Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 92, Agni Press, 1984.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0676/55

      If you want to be happy

And remain happy,

      Then sing all the God-surrender-songs

      That you have come to know.

      Sri Chinmoy, Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 12, Agni Press, 1999.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1275/255

      Be happy and remain happy.

      God wants your life;

God needs your heart.

      Sri Chinmoy, Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 13, Agni Press, 1999.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1281/248

      Serve God,

Be happy,

      Remain happy.

Do not mind who gets the credit!

      Sri Chinmoy, Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 37, Agni Press, 2004.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1475/87

      My Lord Supreme,

Please tell me

How I can be happy

      And remain happy

For the entire day.

      "My child,
Give Me immediately

      Your expectation-bondage-chain.

      I shall fly you

      In My own Freedom-Ecstasy-Plane

      In My Infinity's Heart-Sky."

      Sri Chinmoy, Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 176, Agni Press, 1993.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0901/69

      Question: How can I remain always smiling?

      Sri Chinmoy: You can remain always smiling by imagining a most beautiful flower. It can be a rose or any other flower you like. First try to imagine that the flower is right in front of you, and you are admiring and appreciating it. Then try to feel that particular flower is none other than your own self. In this way, you will be able to remain always, always happy and smiling.

      Sri Chinmoy, Sri Chinmoy Answers, Part 14, Agni Press, 1999.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1291/1/14

      Work, pray and meditate soulfully.

      You are bound to remain happy

And make most satisfactory progress.

      Sri Chinmoy, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, Part 93, Agni Press, 1983.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0567/7

      Do not forget

To count
      God's Blessings

      Frequently

      Inside your gratitude-heart

      So that you can sleeplessly
remain happy.

      Sri Chinmoy, Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 153, Agni Press, 1991.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0802/31

      with gratitude, Kamalakanta
    • purnakama2000
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14, 2011
        Hi Kamalakanta,

        I got immediate joy from your post!

        Yes, remaining happy is the key. So often when I just change my thinking and attitude about a situation that I consider less than ideal, the situation seems to change even though in reality it hasn't. It's all a matter of perspective.

        Considering what has happened globally of late, we must remain cheerful, happy, grateful, and full of inner and outer compassion for those who are suffering in many different ways.

        Keep these joyful thoughts and posts coming.

        Purnakama
      • doris.cott
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 15, 2011
          Hallo Purnakama,

          For some of us change seems to be something that is easily done. For many it might be a difficult thing to do. Gratitude is what I feel more strongly at the moment - gratitude for getting more insight in why it is so very important to pray and meditate.

          As for smiles there seem to be tears always accompanied.

          Doris
        • abanna27
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 15, 2011
            Hi Purnakama and Kamalakanta,

            These posts remind me of a quote I read by Lynne Cox (ultra swimmer; author of "Grayson" and "Swimming to Antarctica.")

            The gist of it is: Sometimes it makes no sense to be optimistic, but it sure beats being pessimistic.

            Abanna
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 16, 2011
              Hi, Abanna, Doris and Purnakama!

              You made me think a little....about the relationship between cheerfulness and progress. In his writings, Sri Chinmoy often talks about the importance of being happy, being cheerful, being like a child. And Christ also mentioned that we must be like children to enter into the kingdom of heaven. Children are enthusiastic, happy and pure.

              So I looked up some of his writings on happiness and progress, and here is a small collection (unofficial) from his writings.

              I find it more and more important to stay cheerful in my spiritual life. It is almost, you could say, a prerequisite to make progress, because it immediately gives you strength to move forward. You know how they say, "count your blessings", well, I am making that a full-time job for myself.

              And one more thing to be grateful for is this site, where we can share inspiring news and thoughts....

              So here is the small selection:

              Cheerfulness
              Is immediate progress
              In our spiritual life.

              Sri Chinmoy, Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 46, Agni Press, 2006.
              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1543/943

              Alas, years of neglect
              Have made my spiritual life
              Extremely weak.
              But now I am all eagerness
              To make the fastest progress
              In my spiritual life.

              Sri Chinmoy, Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 35, Agni Press, 2004.
              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1465/866

              Question: Will outer happiness help our spiritual progress?

              Sri Chinmoy: If you are happy, it will help you to a great extent. If you are unhappy, you won't make any progress at all. On the contrary, you will be marching backwards. Real outer happiness is not self-deception. It does not come from wasting time and indulging in pleasure-life. Real outer happiness is something totally different. It comes from inner joy and inner satisfaction.

              Sri Chinmoy, The Giver And The Receiver, Agni Press, 1987.
              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0721/4/13

              The secret of your spiritual progress:

              A new kind of psychic enthusiasm-

              Pure, sweet and delicate-

Is dawning every day in your heart.

              Sri Chinmoy, Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 93, Agni Press, 1984.
              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0677/1

              In order to make spiritual progress,

              We must leave behind us

              Many things,

              Beginning with our self-doubt-mind.

              Sri Chinmoy, Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 235, Agni Press, 1996.
              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1152/73

              If you accompany truth-seekers
And God-lovers repeatedly,
Yours will be very fast spiritual progress.
              Sri Chinmoy, Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 256, Agni Press, 1998.
              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1234/88

              Our heart's gratitude

              Is the measure

              Of our spiritual progress.

              Sri Chinmoy, Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 13, Agni Press, 1999.
              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1281/504

              Each childlike thought

Is immediate progress

In the spiritual life.

              Sri Chinmoy, Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 49, Agni Press, 2008.
              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1581/63

              That you remain in the spiritual life

Is undoubtedly a sign

              Of your spiritual progress.

              True, your life

              Is nowhere near perfection-light.

But just because you have been
              A truth-seeker and a God-lover

For such a long time,

              You are definitely progressing-

              Of course,

Maybe not to your satisfaction.

              Sri Chinmoy, Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 14, Agni Press, 1983.
              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0589/62

              Question: How can we make spiritual progress?

              Sri Chinmoy: There are two ways. One way is to cry like a child, soulfully. When the child cries for milk or something else, immediately his mother comes and offers the thing that is needed. But his cry has to be sincere. In the spiritual life also, we have to cry soulfully and constantly so that we can hear the dictates of God, our Inner Pilot. This is one way.

              Another way is to take help from someone who can increase our inner cry or who can show us how to listen to the dictates of the Inner Pilot. So one way is to go deep within; we cry and cry. And the other way is to take help from someone who can help us increase our own inner cry.

              Sri Chinmoy, Sri Chinmoy Speaks, Part 2, Agni Press, 1976.
              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0272/2/3

              Question: Is there a way to increase the inner cry?

              Sri Chinmoy: Certainly. Suppose there are four or five good swimmers. If you want to become a good swimmer, then you will mix with the swimmers. If somebody knows how to swim better than you do, then you will mix with that particular swimmer in order to learn how to swim better. Similarly, if you want to accelerate your spiritual progress, you have to mix with those in whom you have some confidence, some trust that they will be able to guide you and accelerate your progress.

              Sri Chinmoy, My Rose Petals, Part 6, Agni Press, 1976.
              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0287/2/5

              Question: As a disciple of yours, what main qualities do I need to achieve happiness?

              Sri Chinmoy: The two main qualities you need are gratitude and forgiveness. You have to feel grateful to the Supreme in yourself and in your Guru that you are still on the path, leading a spiritual life. And you have to have forgiveness-power for all your spiritual brothers and sisters, no matter how much they criticise you or speak ill of you. From these two divine realities you will get real happiness, and in your happiness is your progress.

              Sri Chinmoy, Sri Chinmoy Answers, Part 6, Agni Press, 1995.
              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1098/1/13

              Question: When I feel that my spiritual progress is not fast enough and that my meditation is not deep enough, sometimes feelings of depression and frustration enter. How can I deal with this?

              Sri Chinmoy: First of all, you have to know that when you are not making the fastest progress, it is because you are making some mistake. But if you become depressed, then you are making your problem worse; you are making another mistake. Depression is not the answer. In the spiritual life, you have to try to be as cheerful as possible. If you can be cheerful, then automatically half your spiritual fever is gone, and you can walk faster.

              Why are you not running fast? This is the important question. Sometimes it happens that a runner slows down because he knows that the goal is very far. Since the goal is very far away, he says, "I can go slowly and, without fail, I will reach the destination. Why try to run the fastest and become totally exhausted?" But the runner has to know that there are not one but three goals. When he reaches his first goal and realises the highest Truth, he cannot stop and relax. He has gone only part of the way. There are two more goals: the revelation of the Truth and the manifestation of the Truth. If he loses his enthusiasm and relaxes before he reaches even the first goal, then God knows how long it will take him to reach the farthest goal.

              If you have three things to study, you will not relax as you would if you had only one thing to study. If you know there are three things you have to learn, you will be more alert, more conscious, more devoted, more aspiring. So please feel that in order to make the Supreme happy with your spiritual progress, you have to study three subjects one after the other. Do not feel that you have Eternity at your disposal. No! You have to feel that every moment is either helping you to reach your goal or preventing you from reaching your goal. So utilise each moment to dive deeper, run farther and fly higher. Then you can easily make the Supreme happy.
              -18 October 1974

              Sri Chinmoy, My Meditation-Service At The United Nations For 25 Years, Agni Press, 1995.
              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1094/13/8

              Question: How can I increase my receptivity?

              Sri Chinmoy: Everyone has receptivity, but this receptivity can be enlarged. Receptivity is something elastic: It can be expanded like an elastic band through the spiritual Master's grace. The best way to increase your receptivity is to be like a child. If the mother says to the child, "This is good," the child has no time to think it is bad. No matter how advanced you are in the spiritual life, you can make the fastest progress by having a childlike attitude, a sincere and genuine childlike feeling. Then, if you want to increase your receptivity, each day before you meditate, offer your deepest gratitude to the Supreme. This is the easiest and most effective way to increase receptivity. Because you are aspiring, you have become something. Then tomorrow, if you have maintained your aspiration, you will go one step further. You never stand in the same place in the spiritual life. Either you go forward, or you go backward. If you have aspiration, then you go forward; if you have desire, if you lead the life of desire, then you go backward. So if you have lived the life of aspiration today, then naturally tomorrow you will be one step ahead. Once you are one step ahead, you have every right and every reason to offer your gratitude to the Supreme. You cannot say, "Oh, I have done it all myself." If the Supreme did not work in you, you would still be in the life of desire. But you have gone forward, and you have to feel that it is the divine Force, the Supreme, that has helped you to come forward. So you offer your gratitude to Him. Then each time you offer gratitude, you again go forward. And when you go forward, automatically your receptivity increases. Receptivity means what? It means progress. The more you receive, the more you can make progress in the inner world. Again, the more you receive, the more you have the capacity to receive.

              Sri Chinmoy, Meditation: God's Blessing-Assurance, Agni Press, 1974.
              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0194/1/10

              God asks me to be happy,

              Extremely happy,

              Even if I do not see

              Even an iota of improvement
In my spiritual life.

              Sri Chinmoy, Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 248, Agni Press, 1998.
              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1211/55

              O seeker, be blissful,

              Remain blissful,

              No matter what consciousness

              You are in.

              Sri Chinmoy, Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 46, Agni Press, 2006.
              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1543/57

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 18, 2011
                Hi Kamalakanta,

                Thank you for the writings on cheerfulness and progress. Isn't it wonderful and amazing we can make spiritual progress "simply" by being cheerful and happy! It should be so simple, yet so often we humans resist being cheerful because we consciously or unconsciously cherish our bad moods. As I posted previously, I resolve to increase my cheerfulness in 2011. Lately, I have slipped off the bandwagon. I am grateful for these posts which definitely play a role in reminding me of my goal and inspiring me to start again fresh RIGHT NOW!

                I, too, resonate with the idea of cheerfulness as a kind of pre-requisite to making spiritual progress. Cheerfulness increases our receptivity to all the spiritual qualities we aspire to, and helps us run the fastest in our spiritual lives. Also very important: "A cheerful mind is the perfect guide to a healthy body." (unofficial)

                -Abanna