Saturday Night Live in N.Y., February 19, 2011

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2011
      It certainly was an exciting function this evening in New York at Aspiration-Ground. After our regular meditation and some musical performances there were a few plays which were quite light and humorous although they all had a spiritual message attached. Now that most of the people are back from the trips to Asia we seem to have more willing and able performers to spice up our evening functions again.

      Our main performers of the day were a group of women who are hosting a very special guest, Nimdoma Sherpa, a young woman from Nepal. She was among a group of ten women who successfully climbed to the top of Mount Everest in May 2008. All ten out of the ten total women who were on the team summited the top, or made it to the very summit successfully. This 100 percent success was never done with this size group, especially all women. Eight of the ten women had not much experience at climbing and only trained for less than two years, including Nimdoma. The group of disciples along with Nimdoma read out poems about Everest as we watched beautiful slides of the Himalayas.

      In her presentation to us she not only showed us beautiful slides of the Himalayas but also talked about the challenges involved in such an amazing achievement. We then watched a documentary style video of some of the other women being interviewed about their experiences. Demonstrating unity in diversity, the team was comprised of women from different countries, backgrounds and social classes.

      Nimdoma is from a small village in Nepal and has been involved in the World Food Program which supplies food for thousands of children in need. She is using her newly acquired status and fame to further the cause of the program and is helping to feed thousands of Nepalese children.

      Most of the women are also aspiring to summit the highest peaks in all seven continents. They have climbed three already, including Everest, and now plan in May to climb to the top of Mt. McKinley, or Denali as the natives call it, which is in Alaska.

      The most difficult aspect of their achievement they say is raising the funds to make the climbs possible. But their philosophy is that nothing is impossible if they can help each other to reach their dreams with a positive outlook ans as they work hard on reaching their goals. Sound like a familiar philosophy? Perhaps that is why Nimdoma feels at home in our Centre as she is now a new disciple bringing very valuable aspiration to our family. We are very grateful to her and the rest of her amazing team as well and wish them all the best in their future endeavors.

      After her presentation she was garlanded with a huge garland of flowers almost covering her whole tiny frame. She also had a big cake with candles as we sang a few songs for her. `The Mount Everest Expedition' song written by Sri Chinmoy in July of 1989 and `O Mount Everest' written in August 2000, as well as `Everest Aspiration' and finally `Congratulation', all written by our `Everest' Guru.

      It was hard to top that event, but we did have a nice experience to follow as we watched the 12 minute video of Guru playing the `Battle of Kurukshetra' piano performance in 1987, to celebrate his piano anniversary. It truly was an historic performance with amazing power, charm and intensity for the whole time. At the end Sri Chinmoy meditated most powerfully for about five minutes while he was still seated at the piano. One can only imagine what events he must have recalled from those days of the hoary past. We then sang the main Piano song called, `PianoÂ…Bishaler Pane' written on February 18, 1988.

      The long and exciting function ended with a long and exciting Prasad which will supply most of us with breakfast and even some lunch tomorrow. It has been a very windy and cold day which has lasted into the night but could not dampen the spirits of all those who made it to the function tonight and were blessed with such incredible inspiration.

      Gratefully,
      Arpan
    • antaraprabhat
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 20, 2011
        Everything Arpan said is absolutely true :)
        It was an amazing function!

        This morning we also celebrated 4 birthdays at Oneness-Heart Centre.