Intuition vs. Science

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2011
      You know, usually I try to be more intuitive than scientific, although that does not help much when you want to be systematic.

      But here in New York, in the middle of winter, survival is no. 1.

      Take, for example, my running routine. Right now, it is almost non-existent....but sometimes the observation of intuitive behavior can lead to empirical observations, and this is where intuition meets science.

      So I noticed that the other day, I went for a run, or rather, tried to go for a run...and was back in my house after 3 minutes. 3 minutes! Well, that's not much of a run, is it? Good enough for me on that day! I go out, freeze a little, and quickly decide once around the block is enough!

      Today, it was a little better. 7 minutes! I noticed when I got home. I also noticed it was a little warmer than the other day...it was 3 degrees when I ran 3 minutes, and today it was 7 degrees and I ran 7 minutes. EUREKA!

      I just discovered my training regime for the winter! 1 minute per degree! That's right, folks, I am now scientific about my training. Yes, Siree, no more second-guessing or hesitation. One minute per degree. 10 degrees? well, 10 minutes it is, and so on. Hey, we don't question why pigeons fly in circles during the winter, right? They MUST know what they are doing. So I got my thing: 1 minute per degree.

      And what happens when it is 0 degrees? Well, don't even think about it. And if it is -3 degrees? I get to stay in bed and say, "Supreme, I HATE the winter!" as many times as I want.

      Ah, the scientific method!

      Kamalakanta
    • alap27
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 25, 2011
        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kamalakanta47 <no_reply@...> wrote:
        > And if it is -3 degrees? I get to stay in bed and say, "Supreme, I HATE the winter!" as many times as I want.
        >

        > Kamalakanta
        _______________________________

        ....then you have to run backwards for 3 minutes ..lool :-)

        Alap
      • abanna27
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 26, 2011
          Kamalakanta, this post made me laugh aloud! I love your winter training regime. I am waiting to hear the snow version.

          Thanks for the humor,
          Abanna
        • hareen2u
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 27, 2011
            Hey Kamalakanta,

            we had a 2 mile race last sunday in Ottawa at -29° (about 34° C)
            . We call it Runners are Smilers, but our smiles were nicely frozen. The
            run is in a park by the Ottawa channel, which now is a loooong skating
            track covered by 30 centimeters of ice. Many people go there skating,
            but that morning not even skaters were there. O God, I was running fast,
            but I decided to improve my speed and run back home before arriving to
            the finish line.

            Hareen
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 28, 2011
              You froze!

              Welcome to the club!

              Kamalakanta
            • purnakama2000
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 29, 2011
                Very clever! This post brightened my day:)

                Like Ottawa, it is yet again -35c here, and still our neighborhood runners are out and about for their daily dose of jogging.
                I'm thinking they have polar bear fur under their running pants:)

                Here's hoping the temperature gets to at least 40F for you very soon!

                Purnakama