Re: Meditation

  • tejvan_13
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 13, 2011
      Nayak, thanks for sharing your thoughts on meditation.

      Of course, there are many aspects of meditation which are difficult to share, but I really enjoy hearing about people's experience of meditation and the effect it can have on their lives.

      We have all had good meditations and not so good meditation. A few years ago, you wrote a nice account here. (God e.t.c)
      http://www.srichinmoyinspiration.com/forums/9680

      Sri Chinmoy, like many of the great Masters, tell us the heights of meditation are almost impossible to describe to the mind, which can only grasp finite concepts.

      Despite the obvious limitations, sometimes the written word can still give a glimpse or insight.

      --------

      What is savikalpa samadhi?
      Savikalpa samadhi
      Is
      The experience
      Of Purity-sea
      And
      Integrity-sky.

      What is nirvikalpa samadhi?
      Nirvikalpa samadhi
      Is
      The experience
      Of loftiest Self-transcendence.

      What is sahaja samadhi?
      Sahaja samadhi
      Is
      Reality's message simplified:
      Ignorance lost
      Forever
      And
      Immortality won.

      In the Cosmic Game
      You discover
      That you eternally and supremely are
      What all along,
      From time immemorial,
      You have been
      Helplessly and desperately
      Aspiring to become.

      The Dance Of Life, Part 15 by Sri Chinmoy (unofficial)

      ------

      On the subject of samadhi, also worth viewing,

      http://www.srichinmoy.tv/tv/212 - Sri Chinmoy demonstrating the different states of meditation.

      ~

      Tejvan
    • purnakama2000
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 13, 2011
        Thanks for this Nayak.

        It's so very true and I always tell people this at the classes.

        Many times I think "Oh God does my mind ever shut up?" after a meditation, and I think that by my mind's standards it was not a good meditation, yet, I'm so full of energy that I could clean my house top to bottom.
        Or sometimes I get a delayed reaction (usually in the morning, yawn...) where an hour or so later when I'm into my day I suddenly feel bright and cheerful for no apparent reason.
        I call it the Time Released Light Reaction.

        I think that it's very important to explain this to seekers, because there's a lot of hype out there that would lead people to believe that if you're not seeing lights, hearing bells and whistles, and floating around in some other astral plane, that you're not really meditating.

        Meditation is a gradual unfolding, and it's nice to get those really sweet meditations when they happen, but the true rewards are in the discipline, and in the inner experience of light.

        Happy meditating!

        Purnakama
      • vasanti_hd
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 14, 2011
          Hi Purnakama,

          right now I really appreciate postings that share personal experiences and inspiration for meditation classes. I like the "TRLR" concept - just explained it my way in my last class. It's so true! (I wish I had the cleaning experience only once... :) )

          And I find it fascinating that people - new disciples and seekers - who have never met Guru in person, can have such a strong feeling and deep experience about him!

          Vasanti