Re: Loneliness and Light

  • purnakama2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2010
      Hi Mahiruha,

      Wings of Light is one of my favorite collections, and this poem in particular helped me so much this morning.

      Thank you for helping my aspiration by posting this.

      Purnakama
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 24, 2010
        The full lunar eclipse a couple of days ago makes this poem timely. If I had tried to get up in the middle of the night to see it, it was cloudy and snowy that night so I had the perfect excuse not to!

        Your thoughts about this poem are reminding me that I found myself looking at Sri Chinmoy's bird drawings included in a book of his poetry every few pages or so while reading at our Centre meditation meeting last Wednesday and I tried to feel that I was viewing them as if for the first time ever.

        I marveled at the simplicity of those few strokes of a pen that created an unmistakable form of a bird with a feeling of movement, flight and grace uncanny considering how simple the drawing was at first glance.

        If I have to think of famous artists that remind me of Sri Chinmoy's style of drawing, I instantly think of Matisse and Picasso.

        When I was a teenager, a huge exhibit of Henri Matisse (mostly the cut outs) came to the art museum in the city near where I lived. We learned about him in French class at high school and he was enormously popular at the time with myself and many others. For this reason, I was happy to visit the Henri Matisse museum in Nice, France when sharing in a joint British-French Joy Day last year (actually Italians came too). The web site for the museum is: http://www.musee-matisse-nice.org/
        France is extraordinary in that regard! In a short trip, I was an absolute "culture vulture" and managed to go to Renoir's house as well. Art seems to just burst out from every corner when you are in France.

        How interesting that this quote about simplicity made by Matisse begins the page about his drawings on a web site dedicated to his art work:
        "I have always considered drawing not as an exercise of particular dexterity┬ů but as a means deliberately simplified so as to give simplicity and spontaneity to the expression, which should speak without clumsiness, directly to the mind of the spectator."
        http://www.henri-matisse.net/drawings.html

        This post would be insanely long if I started writing about Picasso too so let us suffice it to say that as I looked at the bird drawings interspersed in this book of Sri Chinmoy's poetry, I had visions of the day when his art work will be more widely exhibited and adored by people everywhere. And that's without even adding in the extra shades of meaning that can be accessed in his art wherein just viewing it uplifts your spirits and acts as a doorway to inner realms.

        Sharani
      • priyadarshan44
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 25, 2010
          Your recent mentioning of Robert Frost's poetry, and here, John Keats', in speaking of Sri Chinmoy's own poetry gave me boundless joy.

          You probably know that Sri Chinmoy spoke of them as real seers.

          I am treasuring your literary criticism like anything. Please send us more!

          priyadarshan