Celebrating Guru's Sister Lily's Birthday Anniversary

  • cott.doris
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2010
      I am not sure whether I am authorized and able to write *anything* about Guru's beloved sister Lily. So with utmost respect and humility I only wanted to mention the anniversary of her birthday, which we are going to celebrate tonight in our meditation center in Zurich.

      We will sing a song for her, read excerpts from Guru's books and offer homemade Indian prasad.

      Last weekend in preparation of the event, I searched our online library for more information and found myself reading and reading and reading...many things I had read before but many things I did not know about. Needless to say, I was touched very deeply to say the least.

      Here are a few excerpts for others to read, but I very highly recommend reading the whole articles:

      "My sister Lily's nickname is Rani, which means "Queen." All her life, my sister has had the aura of a queen. When she walks, mixes with people, talks-in anything she does-she always maintains a very special kind of high dignity. She has a very soft oneness-heart also, but her queenly dignity is really something rare and unique."

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1244/2/7

      "I arrived in Madras at eight o'clock in the evening of January 11th. It takes three and a half hours to reach the Ashram by car. Around eleven o'clock I reached home. A friend of mine who works at the Ashram car company drove, and my two brothers came. When I saw my brothers, I got a tremendous shock because age has descended upon them. But, strangely enough, in two days' time they looked much, much better than when I saw them at the airport. When we arrived home around eleven, my sister Lily was so happy to see me."

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1096/7

      "My sister, Lily, happened to be with us. So Lily said to her, "Yes, I can see you are getting old." Soma is 13 years younger than Lily. Anyway, Lily immediately did that particular exercise so easily and quickly. Lily put us to shame. I surrendered because I cannot bend that much."

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1096/18

      "My sister Lily was next. First she looked into my left eye, then into my right eye, then into my left eye and finally again into my right eye. Then she placed her hand on her own heart and offered her most prayerful gratitude to God."

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0975/4/6

      "When we arrived in India, my sisters and brothers were overwhelmed with joy when they saw me, when they saw us. At the same time, the parting scene was unbearable. My sisters, especially, cried bitterly, as if I were already dead. I told my eldest sister, Arpita, "When I actually die, there will be no tears since you've used them all up here. There will be nothing left in your eyes. So you'd better stop crying now since you'll have to cry again when I die." Then my sister Lily tried her best to control her tears, but finally she again burst out crying. This is Indian family life!"

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0931/8/1

      There are more touching incidents Guru writes about in relation to his beloved sister Lily but they are rather poignant and may shadow a person's birthday joy.

      In May 1999 Guru wrote at least two poems for Lily:

      "My Supreme, my Supreme, my Supreme!
      May my heart be
      Eternity's God-aspiration-Cry.
      My Supreme, my Supreme, my Supreme!"

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1303/1/29

      "My Supreme, my Supreme, my Supreme!
      May my life be
      Infinity's
      God-Manifestation-Smile.
      My Supreme, my Supreme, my Supreme!"

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1303/1/30

      In June 1999 Guru published a book with the title "Our Affection-Love-Admiration-Heart". It is all about his sister Lily showing many family pictures that were taken many years ago in India and about her visit to New York in the Seventies.

      If ever possible, it would be very nice to have those pictures online for the rest of the world to view and get inspiration.

      Doris
    • arpan_deangelo
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 27, 2010
        Thank you,Doris, for sharing your inspiration and a few of Guru's stories about visiting his sister Lily.

        I just submitted a post about our function here in New York celebrating Lily-di's birthday on Oct.27. Then I read your post and I was inspired to include a few of my own reminiscences of 1978 when she came here to New York to visit us and to be with Guru for half a year. Some of these I extracted from a post I wrote last year after we celebrated Lily-di's birthday here as well.

        Coming from the very warm climate of Southern India, as she lived most of her life in the Aurobindo Ashram in Pondicherry, Lily seemed to have a hard time adjusting to the extremely opposite weather of an icy cold New York winter. I remember her especially in the first month wearing lots of warm coats, hats, gloves, etc. even inside at functions sometimes. But she was always so compassionate and motherly to everyone and loved to be involved in our events.

        Celebrating her birthday last night at Aspiration-Ground brought back some of those wonderful moments I personally can remember after 32 years since she was here. Although I did not spend much time with her as some of the Annam Brahma girls and others did, just to get Prasad from her at our Centre meetings or have her present at a function was always very inspiring. It always made Guru happy as well whenever Lily was present at many of the events.

        One very amusing event we once had at the original Progress-Promise meditation hall was a Sari contest put on by the boys. Lily was the judge as the boys had to come out wearing a sari to the amusement of everyone. We were judged on how nice the sari was and how it was put on. Some guys even put on wigs to make it look authentic and add more levity to the situation. Lily had to see each one and at times would modestly cover her mouth as she laughed and laughed at some of the amusing `models' and how they wore their saris.

        It was fun going up in front of our special guest `judge', but needless to say I did not do well in the scoring. Perhaps I did not spend enough money on my sari or practice wearing it enough. But it was all in the name of fun and Lily-di seemed to enjoy it the most.

        We even took Lily to amusement parks in the summer, the beach, a horse racetrack and other places where she could experience a variety of American culture. I cannot remember all the things she did or places that she went but I do remember that she spent quite some time at Annam Brahma cooking with the girls there. I am sure we had her food many times and that it was quite delicious, authentic and fulfilling. I believe that the girls are still using some of her recipes as she was a very good cook and used to cook for Guru every day.

        This is one of my favorite songs that the Bhajan Singers sang last night for Lily-di.
        In the words of one of Guru's songs about Lily, called: `Jhili Mili Jhili Mili Lily Lily', Guru writes:
        "Twinkling, twinkling, Lily, Lily,
        You are the Hope-Heart of the World-Mother,
        You are the Message-Eye of the World-Father.
        You are the waves of
        Delight and Peace fathomless of the World-Pilot-Supreme."

        Gratefully,
        Arpan