OT Where the National Enquirer Meets the Buddha

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 26, 2010
      Dear All,

      For a long time now, I've been harboring a deep, dark and painfully personal secret, that I've just been *itching* to get off my chest. But the time never seemed to be really right. And, besides, this forum is entitled "The Sri Chinmoy Inspiration Group", not "Now It Can Be Told: Shocking Secrets and Startling Confessions!"

      Anyway, I suppose I might as well just have out with it, as carrying such emotional baggage never does anybody any good, and besides I've already entrusted it to my diary, the one that's under lock and key at the US Mint and twenty-four hour laser-machine-gun-armed guard. Yes, I've left written instructions that it be shredded and burned at my death, and its ashes scattered over the Pacific Ocean during a frightful squall but…

      I like Neil Diamond's music. I think his songs are catchy.

      There. I've said it.

      Laugh if you will! But I think he sings with sincere feeling, and I
      always feel better after listening to him croon over some lost love, or bad test scores he got in the seventh grade.

      "Song sung blue…"

      So, next time you hear Neil ooze over the car radio, don't groan,"Oh
      brother!" and change the station. Rather, lower the windows, raise the volume to the max, and try to out-sing him. That's what my stepdad does!

      (By the way, does anyone know what Neil's song "Soulement" is about?
      At least I think it's spelled "Soulement". It seems to be some kind of old gospel or spiritual, right? Any ideas?)

      Next week, a celebration of Neil's fellow Brooklyn Erasmus High School graduate!

      Clue: People who hum Bach arias while attempting tin man triathlons are luckier than people who need people!

      Mahiruha
    • bal_peter
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 27, 2010
        Dear Mahiruha,

        dit you ever hear the song "Pretty Amazing Grace" from Neil Diamond?
        this song describes in a beautiful way his path to his lord.
        A beautiful song!

        Peter Netherlands
      • pavaka_cambrian
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 27, 2010
          Gosh Mahiruha, I don't know what kind of can of worms you may have opened here but I can't deny the therapeutic benefit of getting this type of secret off of one's chest. I also like Neil. You are not alone. Other people feel the way you feel.

          Tofu-based Porcupine Pie anyone?

          Pavaka
        • purnakama2000
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 28, 2010
            Yes Mahiruha,

            I am also a huge Neil Diamond fan, much to the chagrin of my older brother who had to listen to it when we were growing up. I had to put up with his KISS albums, but that's for another post.

            It's actually thanks to Neil Diamond and other male singers that I listened to like James Taylor and Dan Fogelberg, that I learned to sing harmony. I loooooooved singing their music, but of course as a girl, the songs were not in a range that I could sing, so I had to learn to sing harmony if I wanted to sing along.

            As for Soolaimon, if I recall correctly it's a word from one of the African languages as the name of the god of the sun.

            Don't quote me on it, but it sure sounds familiar. Much more than Pavaka's porcupine stew:)

            Purnakama
          • purnakama2000
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 28, 2010
              PS

              I looked up the word soolaimon,and some say it's a hebrew word meaning peace, some say it's a hello greeting,and others say it means take me home.

              No sun god or baked porcupines I'm afraid:)

              Purnakama
            • mahiruha_27
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
                Purnakama,

                Thank you so much for your interesting reply, as well as for looking up the word "soolaimon". I really like Neil Diamond's vibe, so upbeat, so hopeful, so positive.

                Peter,

                I'll be sure to look up that song, "Pretty Amazing Grace". Neil Diamond's gospel-inspired tunes are really uplifting.

                Pavaka,

                Thanks for the psycho-babble! The worms, of course, are gummy worms, which are completely edible, and made with 100 % natural chemicals that mother nature never intended, but should have.

                Mahirhua