Never Give Up! Prayer- Poems by Sri Chinmoy

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2010
      Dear friends,

      One of the many spiritual qualities that one could feel in Sri Chinmoy is the quality of adamantine determination, a determination that is unwavered by the buffets of life, undeterred by the winds of fate; a determination based on a supreme spiritual love for God and for mankind. His was a life of service, constant and unconditional. He led by example: the strongest kind of teaching. He was truly the embodiment of his philosophy of love, devotion and surrender.

      Luckily for us, he also wrote many books; more than 1,500! And in those books he shared his inner realisations, reflections and contemplations on life. Many of his writings address what I call the "inner dynamics" of life; those attitudes than can keep our spiritual journey alive and thriving.

      Today I am inspired by the phrase "never give up", and therefore I want to share with you a few of Sri Chinmoy's prayer-poems on this subject. I have included also a talk by Sri Chinmoy on this subject, extracted from his book, "I Play Tennis Every Day". Enjoy!

      with gratitude,

      God never wants us to give up.
      He always asks us
      To wake up and shape up.
      Excerpt from My Sunrise-Heart, Part 1 by Sri Chinmoy

      O my aspiration-heart,
      Where are you?
      Have you forgotten
      God's own transcendental Motto:
      "Never give up"?
      Therefore, never give up on me,
      Never give up on yourself,
      And specially
      Never give up on my stupid mind,
      For it needs God-illumination
      With your and my help.
      Excerpt from O My Aspiration-Heart, Where Are You? by Sri Chinmoy

      God's Motto:
Never give up,
Never give up!
Man's motto:
Alas, I do not know
When I should start!
      Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 114 by Sri Chinmoy

      Never give up,
Never give up
Your self-transcendence
And God-satisfaction-goal!
      Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 133 by Sri Chinmoy

      Never give up, never give up!
Even if you lose your way
A great many times,
You must realise that your destination
Is sleeplessly expecting your arrival.
      Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 224 by Sri Chinmoy

      God's philosophy
Is simpler than the simplest:
"Never give up, never give up!"
      Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 26 by Sri Chinmoy

      The difference between
      God and me:
      My motto is:
      "Give up, give up
      If you do not succeed."
      God's Motto is:
      "Wake up, wake up-
      You will never fail!"
      Excerpt from The Difference Between God And Me by Sri Chinmoy

      Do not give up!
He who gives up
Never reaches the Satisfaction-Shore.
Who knows?
Each attempt of yours may bring you
Many exceptionally heart-enlightening
      Excerpt from Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, Part 87 by Sri Chinmoy

      Although my mind is useless,
Although my heart is worthless,
Although my life is soulless,
I shall not give up,
      Excerpt from Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, Part 70 by Sri Chinmoy

      I do not give up,
I never give up,
For there is nothing
In this entire world
That is irrevocably unchangeable.
      Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 3 by Sri Chinmoy

      Give up everything
If you have to.
But never give up
Your heart-beauty's
On earth.
      Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 141 by Sri Chinmoy

Your will is overruled by fate.
But I assure you,
God's golden Gate will always
Remain open for you.
Do not give up.
      Excerpt from Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, Part 3 by Sri Chinmoy

      Is death afraid of you?
      When you smile.
      Because the brother in death
      Needs your smile.
      Is life afraid of you?
      When you despair.
      Because the mother in life
      Hates your despair.
      Is truth afraid of you?
      When you give up.
      Because the father in truth
      Wants you to try
      Time and again.
      Never give up.
      Excerpt from The Silence Of Death by Sri Chinmoy

      My sweet Lord,
      Do give me immense patience so that I shall never give up in the battlefield of life.
      Excerpt from Prayer-Plants by Sri Chinmoy

      My Lord,
I know You will never
Abandon me.
Therefore, I never give up
My hope for perfection-life.
      Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 28 by Sri Chinmoy

      Pray that you never give up.
Pray that you never surrender
To failure-life.
Pray that you can become
The Supreme Lord's
Dream-fulfilling life-tree.
      Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 120 by Sri Chinmoy

      No matter how many
      Thousands of centuries
      It will take me to realise God,
      I shall never, never give up!
      Excerpt from Two God-Amusement-Rivals: My Heart-Song-Beauty And My Life-Dance-Fragrance, Part 3 by Sri Chinmoy

      Never Give Up

      Sri Chinmoy made the following comments after a video showing at a public meditation held at PS 86 on 5 June 1985.

      "God's creation is nothing other than God's Cosmic Game. From time immemorial God has been playing in and through each human being at every moment. The day God created Time, He became the Owner and the Distributor of Time.
      Perhaps all of you know by this time that our simple philosophy is the philosophy of love, devotion and surrender. We have just watched tennis on the video. In tennis everything begins with "love." There is also "serve" in tennis. Those who play need dedication or devotion to the game, and at the end of the game one party surrenders to the other. So tennis can teach us how to become good seekers.
      You have noticed how many of my students fell a number of times while they were playing tennis because of the rainy and wet conditions. In the spiritual life also, many, many, many, if not all, seekers fall or descend. But they get ample opportunity again to stand up and walk, march and run faster than the fastest. As we have seen on the video, the tennis players fell down only to get up. They fell down deplorably, but again stood up courageously to win in the battlefield of life.
      In the spiritual life there is no such thing as failure. We may fall, we may descend, we may have the experience of so-called outer failure. But this is not real failure. Real failure is only when we give up and say, "This is an impossible task; no matter how many times I try, I will fail." If I entertain this wrong feeling and give up, then I have accepted failure and become failure itself. I fail only when I give up┬Śnever, never before!
      Not to give up under any circumstances should be the motto of our life: "I shall try again and again, and I am bound to succeed. There will be obstacles, but I have to defy the obstacles." During the tennis game you saw, it was raining heavily. Let us take this rain as an obstacle that the players defied. Similarly, in the spiritual life, there will be lots of obstacles: fear, doubt, anxiety, worry, insecurity, impurity and so forth. These are all undivine hostile forces that attack us. We have to conquer them. There have been seekers on earth, right from the beginning of creation, who have conquered these forces. They have left behind their divine treasures on earth, and today's seekers have got these treasures as their divine heritage. So if there are obstacles on the way, we shall not give up.
      Although the great tennis stars may not be conscious seekers, unconsciously they surrender their results to God. If they are conscious seekers, definitely they offer their results consciously to their Lord Supreme. There is no human being who either unconsciously or consciously does not or cannot surrender the results of his actions to the Supreme. But if we can become conscious seekers, conscious instruments of God, then we need not wait for the results of our actions, for at every moment we derive abundant joy from what we do. The action itself, if it is devoted action, is joy.
      The ultimate aim of the spiritual life is enlightenment. But we must not have the wrong notion that enlightenment excludes entertainment. Enlightenment does include entertainment. Real entertainment is not and need not be restless, vital excitement. It can come from an innocent, spontaneous feeling of joy from deep within and be the simple expression of this inner, sweet, tender, soulful feeling. This kind of innocent entertainment gives the rest of the world the same kind of spontaneous, childlike innocent joy. It helps enormously to free us from mental tension and from unforeseen and undivine hostile attacks.
      There are seekers who do not find joy in the spiritual life. Why do they not find joy? Precisely because they want to discover something new with the mind. But if they want to discover something new, illumining and fulfilling, then they have to be in the heart, with the heart and for the heart. The heart is all oneness, and this oneness is God's Vision fulfilled in His seekers, servers and lovers. If we live in the heart, with the heart and for the heart, then at every moment there will be newness, and inside newness will be fulness┬Ścomplete, whole.
      The spiritual life is not for the chosen few; it is for all. Some may walk slowly while others may jog. Still others may run fast or even sprint. But we all shall reach the same destination at God's choice Hour, provided we do not stop for good on the way or, what is worse, make a complete turn-around and want to go back to our old life, which is nothing short of an undivine, unaspiring, animal life.
      Let us try to run consciously at every moment to our destined Goal. If the hostile forces compel us to descend, then the divine forces are there with their infinite Compassion to lift us once again and help us run the fastest. So do not give up, do not give up! Continue, continue! The Goal is ahead of you. If you do not give up, you are bound to reach your destined Goal."
      -Sri Chinmoy
      Excerpt from I Play Tennis Every Day by Sri Chinmoy