Reflecting on parents....

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2010
      Today I was reflecting about my mother and father, and how they gave us so much love, in a very simple, direct way, dedicating their life to us and sacrificing everything they had for us. They acted in a very simple, sincere way. No complications, no technology involved, just true love for their children...now that my mother is unable to talk, after enduring three strokes, I treasure more and more her presence in my life, now that she is fading away.

      She causes me to reflect, and to wonder about how different generations sometimes do not understand each other completely. How can they? The world is changing at such a hectic pace! From my grandparent's world to mine seems like from the middle ages to the modern world!

      Yet the simplicity that is lost with technological "advances" is staggering. People talk more to their computers than to each other, it seems to me. The growing skepticism, arrogance and "I-Know-It-All" that technology gives us seems to stand in the way of spiritual progress sometimes.

      And the speed at which these technological advances happen makes me think that the gaps between generations widens even more quickly now.
      I just remember how my parents lived mostly in the heart, how life seemed simpler then; there were no computers, and I felt connected to the earth, in many ways; both when I played around as a child, and going to my uncle's houses in the countryside, where most of my family is from. Running around in the hills, by the river, listening to all the birds and the bamboo trees, sleeping in my uncle's hammock while the gentle breeze talked to me of the sweetness of life....

      Here is a poem by Sri Chinmoy:

      "If the modern world had more simplicity,
      Then the modern world
      Would have infinitely more joy
      Than it has now."
      -Sri Chinmoy

      Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 262 by Sri Chinmoy
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1254/31

      Joy to all!

      Kamalakanta
    • alap27
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2010
        I like your post a lot. This is exactly what happens all around!
        Speed is ok but it has to be under control instead of making you hyper nervous (as so many kids are today).
        I'm quite happy that i was able with Gurus support to establish
        my flute making job. It makes me truly independent from the nervous bustle of today's economic world. I created my own little island where times goes much slower than around. But it took some 20 years to establish it.

        -Alap