June 13th was special in two ways.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18 8:56 PM
      Last Sunday June 13th was special for more than the start of the 3100 mile race. In addition to that auspicious moment when the hero runners embark on their very long leg of an eternal journey, something special was happening in the Land of the Midnight Sun.

      On Sunday June 13th the 6th statue in the world of Sri Chinmoy was dedicated in a beautiful huge park in the city of Vaasa on the west coast of Finland. Standing on a multi-colored piece of locally quarried granite and already adorned with a plaque, this 2nd statue of Sri Chinmoy holding the Peace Torch - symbol of the World Harmony Run - looks towards the Sea -- and just as surely looks in towards Heaven.

      The ceremony included park officials, a politician, a large group of Russian students of Sri Chinmoy and other centre members from countries such as Norway, Sweden, England, Iceland, Italy, Estonia, Czech Republic and the United States.

      Speeches were given by centre members Niharika of Vaasa, Agraha of Seattle, Husiar of Oslo and Kaivalya the sculptor. After the ceremony with an actual World Harmony Run lit torch, we retired to a nearby villa for lunch and cake to celebrate. Later that same day a Songs of the Soul Concert was held and we again came afterwards to the Villa for a bountiful feast of dinner and prasad.

      As if symbolic of the joy and light in our hearts, I never did it see get dark that night despite standing in front of the statue after 11 pm. Good thing the hotel had room darkening blinds because even at midnight it was still like dusk outdoors.

      If you would like to read a little more about the occasion and see photos of the newest statue of Sri Chinmoy, please look here on the Sri Chinmoy Centre website and Sri Chinmoy Centre galleries.
      http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/feed/feed-item/statue-sri-chinmoy-dedicated-vaasa-finland

      http://gallery.srichinmoycentre.org/members/sharani/statues/Finland/

      You might not believe it's true but there is a spot inside this girl with travelling shoes who feels there is no place like home. Certainly the whole world is one family... still there's a deep wellspring of love in my heart for my adopted home of the last 21 years - the smallest state in the U.S., Rhode Island. I am blessed to always feel content to return to my roost after venturing out to new places.