A Meeting With Sri Chinmoy Was: (Re: Twenty Years On The Path)

  • suchana27
    Message 1 of 13 , May 6, 2010
      Thank you, Doris, for writing on Guru´s video I haven´t seen yet.

      I also remember that Guru himself would send beautiful flowers on the occassion of Mr. and Mrs. Mehrotra´s birthdays when they were living in Argentina, such was his affection and gratitude for them.

      I have even found an issue of ¨India¨, a local magazine published by scholars and admirers of India in the 80´s where Mr. Mehrotra wrote a very singular poem in an impeccable Spanish. Here follows my translation in English according to the original punctuation:

      PRAYER

      All the steps that I have walked
      From the Himalayas to the Andes
      From the Artic to Antartica
      They are Yours, My Lord
      For Thy Will has inspired them
      I have been a mere instrument
      And wherever I have been
      I have seen Thy Name written
      Over mountains and glaciars
      Lakes and ponds, plants and trees.
      Birds have sung Thy songs
      Animals have stood stock-still
      marvelled at Thy Beauty

      Man alone, skeptical
      Saint Thomas
      Has inquired.
      But I know Thee by instinct
      Come closer to me
      And place on my cheek the
      fresh breeze kiss
      I have been longing for such a long time
      In the tumult of cities
      Where the man pollutes everything
      he touches
      Save him, Lord
      From the metal chains and walls
      that he has built around him

      With the power of his intellect
      Which will destroy him in a single explosion
      Forgive him his ignorance
      SAVE HIM.

      Ushuaia, February 1984
      Lakhan Lal Mehrotra (unofficial)

      I think he has been the only Indian poet to get something written and published in Spanish in the southern most city of the world -usually called ¨the end of the world¨.
      In this same magazine, there is also an article published in a Porto Rican newspaper and introduced by Kamalakanta about one of his books entitled ¨Essays on the Art and Culture of India¨, where the reporter refers to Mr. Mehrotra -Ambassador of India to many countries and professor of ancient history- in this way:

      ¨There are books that, because of their brightness, illumine our mind horizons. There are some other books that, by the author´s good will, are expressions of humility which touch our soul with waves of love for humanity. Even more, there are books that expand our individual conscioussness to a universal vision.¨

      I am grateful to you for keeping alive such sweet memories on Guru´s family.

      In oneness,
      Suchana
    • dmchaudhurani
      Message 2 of 13 , May 11, 2010
        Hello Doris and everyone

        Doris, it was such a surprise and delight to share the same accommodation with you during Celebrations. How are things now you are home again? Congratulations on your 20th anniversary. It is a significant step.

        I still remember my 20th. It was a joy day and we were by the sea in a place where the cliffs are made of chalk. I gathered small round white chalk pebbles to give as prasad, and wrote 'Gratitude' on them in ink.

        Because the chalk is so porous the ink slowly spread. By the time I gave the prasad the words were a bit blurry. I kept a few and noticed recently that the writing has completely disappeared now. But I feel as if it has been received and assimilated, not that it's gone.

        Doris, I promised you that I would start writing for Inspiration again regularly - and now it's almost three weeks since returning and I have not given it the priority until today. But now I am putting that right.

        This morning I read all the recent posts and copied some for a friend who is finding things quite tough. The posts really are inspiring. The reason why I stopped writing regularly was that I lost my job about a year ago - just a simple matter of the school being private and having falling numbers of students (and therefore income) due to the recession needing to reduce the staff - but it was quite unexpected and left me feeling really low. If I am not feeling cheerful, positive and inspired I don't like to post on this site so I just got out of the habit.

        The only job I can find at the moment is fundraising. I am working for the housing charity Shelter and have to knock on doors for four hours a night. I find it very tiring and only put in two or three hours which means my commission-based pay is pathetic but I am getting used to it. In the winter months it was not very enjoyable but some evenings now, in the full fragrance of spring, it is really lovely.

        Meanwhile, because this is evening work I am able to focus my energy on starting a business properly with the card-games I designed. I am adapting them for Early Years children and use in Language Learning (at the moment only English but later, if they are well recieved, for other languages too.) Hopefully the first trial packs will be printed by Pataka in Madal Bal Studio, Prague, within the next few weeks.

        Doris, you were telling me in New York that many other disciples may be struggling with redundancy and financial difficulties so we shouldn't think we can only post messages when everything is 'bright eyed and bushy tailed' as they say. It's not any 'failure' when things don't work out smoothly in our lives and if we share our struggles as well as successes it may inspire people who are facing the same kind of difficulties - so I am sending special love and oneness to any brothers and sisters who are in the same 'economic boat.'

        The big thing that helps me is to remember that it is the Supreme having a particular experience in and through us - and that as long as we keep hold of Guru's Hand, it will be an experience that teaches us something significant, deepens our relationship with him and contributes to our progress. I may not like my 'knocking' job but at least, by Guru's Grace, it enabled me to get to Celebrations. It was wonderful to be at Aspiration Ground again.

        Love to everyone

        Durga-Mata

        ---
      • cott.doris
        Message 3 of 13 , May 11, 2010
          Dearest Suchana, it would be a pleasure for me to bring that video in August to New York for you as a gift.

          I am always deeply inspired, encouraged and consoled by great and good people such as Lakhan Lal Mehrotra (it's a very beautiful prayer!), Nelson Mandela and many, many others.

          Words can express such spiritual beauty...Is it the ego of a person that is moved and aspires to become like them, or wishes to learn more about those?

          Doris
        • cott.doris
          Message 4 of 13 , May 14, 2010
            Dear Durga-Mata,

            I am so happy you took my 'advice' to heart and wrote again in the Inspiration Group. I personally love people who are real! I admire your courage to say out loud that things went a little wrong in your life (if anything ever went wrong). I am not an exception and would possibly feel ashamed to write about my job situation. But why do we have to be ashamed? I actually did write about my urge for changes (see # 24140) and a few things have changed for the better. Like you I am working hard on starting my own business next year.

            Some may simply say, "Everybody has his cares" not to burden others or whatever the reason might be – I admire those as well. Sometimes I judge myself in a certain way or compare myself with others (the easiest way to feel bad) but there are so many reasons why someone can lose his or her job and get into financial difficulties.

            Often there is too much thinking, may it be of others or of situations…(see Tejvan's Self-Improvement Blog http://www.srichinmoybio.co.uk/blog/).

            One significant reason why someone can be in financial difficulties can be his deep inner purity. It would be foolish to try to support those though it might be heartfelt. I remember I read about Vivekananda that he was very poor and he suffered because he was unable to feed his family, but he prayed only for enlightenment. At a certain point his beloved Mother Kali granted him a boon. She knew his family was very poor but Vivekananda was unable to ask for material things.

            Your e-mail address you gave me I left on my desk and I was about to write a private e-mail to you but I too had to give other things priority and so nothing was written yet. How are things now? I moved to a small, old, beautiful city near Zurich and I am happy about it. Here we are a small group of 8-10 people that meet every Monday evening for meditation in the same house where five of us live. Yes, we live in a tiny, very old house of five levels in the Old City of Winterthur right next to a Madal Bal store. Tasks and tiny duties there are plenty. When I told someone about it he commented, "Ah, so you live now in the monastery." I thought this was an adequate description of how the house looks like from inside. From time to time disciples from Zurich like to visit us for singing Bhajans in the centre or on the terrace outside. But also disciples from New York and other countries have visited already. You and other brothers and sisters are heartily invited to visit us at any time. Now I too have to learn how to deal with such a big household though we keep it simple and there are times when I have to stop working, sit down, close my eyes and breathe deep.

            You mentioned the 'gratitude' that disappeared from the chalk. I believe it is quite true that it was well received and not lost, for this is what I heard recently after I noticed two of the soul-birds Guru had drawn on a wooden little car have flown away. I was sad but was told that Guru said that those birds that vanish from the object they were drawn on have taken incarnation (very unofficial). :- )

            I am also happy to learn that your card-games will be worked on by Pataka. I hope he will not get floods of orders now but I really liked some of his work I saw. As I already expressed I like your cards very much! I never liked card games but I have rarely seen such creative work such as you did on cards. Especially I liked the educational part and your childlike drawings. I shall never forget the image of someone sitting in a tree painting a special person's house. I think only Bijon's mother can do such things. She will never grow old for she has such childlike spirit. :- )

            Doris :- )
          • suchana27
            Message 5 of 13 , May 20, 2010
              Thank you, dearest Doris, for your nice offering!
              It will be a great consolation to me as I am used to spending most of my time at Aspiration-Ground or getting news from my friends whom I see once a year and I finally get to go shopping on the very last day when all the items are already sold!

              I don´t know exactly what makes a person feel moved by the higher ideals and manifestation of some chosen souls -they may suffer a lot because only very few aspiring people follow them!
              Regarding Nelson Mandela, as Kamalakanta has recently mentioned in one of his postings, his movie called ¨Invictus¨ is fascinating the public and many ELT teachers -those who teach English as a foreign language- who are presenting this film to their students just to see the role he played for his country and also to allow teenagers know more about South Africa history and the upcoming participating countries in the football worldcup. I haven´t seen it yet and I don´t think I´ll be able to do it until July.

              Maybe the divine ego, full of oneness and the ¨we¨ perception, is feeling happy to imitate those incredible souls, souls that have changed the world for the better.

              Happiest Days,
              Suchana