Great Queen Seondeok - A Korean Historic Drama

  • cott.doris
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2010
      History has never been a favourite subject of mine when I was in school. Watching the TV series The Great Queen Seondeok changed my attitude completely.

      I don't dare to attempt writing any comments on this extraordinary Korean drama (62 episodes!) and extraordinary acting. Well, I watched them all!

      Here is an introduction by a blogger I found on the internet:

      "This is about the first Queen in ancient Korean history. The history of Silla dynasti. Silla is one of three Kingdoms in Korea. Another Kingdoms are Baekje and Goguryeo. According to Wikipedia Seondeok reigned as Queen of Silla, one of the Three Kingdoms of Korea, from 632 to 647 AD. She was Silla's twenty-seventh ruler and its first reigning queen.

      According to Wikipedia, Queen Seondeok before she became queen, she was known as Princess Deok Man the second daughter of King Jinpyeong. Because the King had no sons, so he had selected Seondeok as his heir. This act was not unusual in Silla periode, as women of the periode had a certain degree of influence as advisors, dowager queens, and regents. Women were heads of families since matrilineal lines of descent existed along with patrilineal ones. During the Silla kingdom, the status of women remained relatively high, but they were expected to do their duties and not try to do activities that were considered to be unwomanly.

      Seondeok's reign was a violent one, there were many rebellions and fighting with the neighbor Kingdom of Baekje. Seondeok was known as a smart queen. She kept the kingdom together and extended its ties with China. Sending many scholars to China and learn from that country. Seondeok was drawn to Buddhism and presided over the completion of Buddhist Temples.
      Seondeok built the "Star-Gazing Tower" or Cheomseongdae as the first observatory in East Asia. Cheomseongdae still stands until now in the old Silla capital of Gyeongju, South Korea."

      http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Great-Queen-Seon-Deok-The-Most-Phenomenal-Korean-Historical-Drama-in-2009

      I hope I learned a lot about politics, hope and love of truth. Guru is so very right by teaching us to sleeplessly go forward, fly upward and dive inward - the road seems to be very long, indeed. Sometimes the world can be really cruel to us but we must never give up.

      There is a song included in the movie that is sung very soulfully by the Korean singer Lee Soo Jeong - Come, People of God. Without this song included in the movie I would probably feel quite disheartened, for there is not really a happy ending. But over the last few weeks I heard it so often that it radiates inside my heart and fills it with love.

      Come, People of God

      Come, people of God
      We are here for the love of truth
      Winter may conquer us, but we stand still
      Until the spring comes to this land

      Come, children of God
      We believe in the love of truth
      Darkness may rule of night but we stand tall
      Until the sunrise is high

      Silence may be our voices within our hearts
      But we know God is on our side
      This is the land God promised for us
      So we must be the light of this world

      We know this is our destiny
      Children of god follow our star
      Silence may be our voices within our hearts
      But we know God is on our side
      This is the land God promised for us
      So we must be the light of this world

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4WNgIoEDz8&NR=1

      Doris

      P.S. I never expect any replies to my posts, but in this case I would be really happy if anybody would ever reply to it.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2010
        Hi Doris,
        This Korean drama is a new one for me. I'm glad you wrote about it - I will have to explore watching it at some future moment in time since I liked Dae Jang Geum so much.

        Hope you're enjoying Spring! Did you have any Sri Chinmoy tulips bloom near you? Over 2,000 came up in Minneapolis this spring. The few in my yard are smaller than the smallest in comparison.

        You'll have to share photos with us as lovely as your Fall photos last year.
        http://gallery.srichinmoycentre.org/members/doris_cott/Autumn_+2009/

        Best Wishes,
        Sharani
      • vasanti_hd
        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2010
          Talking about Korea (I heard there is a Korean TV series everyone/girl seems to be watching in N.Y. - is that the one? Just found it on Youtube...) - a very inspiring section of the World Harmony Run has just started:

          http://www.worldharmonyrun.org/southkorea/news/2010/0501 (organised by Padmasini if I am correct)

          Also extremely inspiring, Salil`s video about the Japanese closing ceremony in Nagasaki:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cimweS2cZoA
          or http://www.worldharmonyrun.org/video

          In our first Nagasaki run years ago one of the few survivors participated, and we also visited the atom bomb museum - which of course has left a lasting impression. So maybe less inspiring, but extremely significant, two videos about the bombings, one from American perspective :

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncq_Wye43TM
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4x7G_AOL8k&NR=1

          It shows there is no black and white, but how fear, pride, and feelings of revenge and superiority can create untold misery, and how important it is for initiatives like the World Harmony Run to strengthen the feeling and experience of oneness among the members of our world family, especially the young generation.

          Fortunately the significance of this is recognised more and more - here an another beautiful and significant message:

          http://www.worldharmonyrun.org/unesco_year/davidson_hepburn_unesco_message

          Vasanti
          (World Harmony Run lover since 1987)
        • cott.doris
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2010
            Ah, Sharani, you are such a faithful comrade! :- ) Be sure you will be addicted quickly. To be frank my aspiration-life 'suffered' a little during the period of watching and watching. One set of four DVDs is almost 22 hours long and there are four of them. :- )

            I know many of our centre members and also disciples in New York watched The Great Queen Seondeok recently (perhaps you can lend them), but it was useless on my part to beg for any discussion. It would definitely be worth it. Let's see.

            I read on the internet about still another Korean drama: Jumong by the same director! But I personally need six months at least to digest the above mentioned drama. Be prepared for a lot of rebellion, war and fighting - and the result of it...but there are also many, many fine episodes and super excellent acting.

            My favourite actress was fourteen year old Nam Ji-hyeon as young Deokman (later Queen Seondeok). Deokman (pronounced Dokmana) was abondened after her birth because of a prophecy but later fights her way back to the kingdom of Silla only to find an even harder life-road to walk that she accepted wholeheartedly. Nam Ji-hyeon received a special Child Actor Award. Here is a scene:

            http://tinyurl.com/33gk8l9

            Guru actually wrote many stories about emperors, kings and queens. The drama enables me to better understand and visualise them. Inspiration Sounds http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org/inspiration-sounds (see especially episode 51 and 52) and the Sri Chinmoy online library http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/ are great sources to read and listen to them

            Doris

            P.S. The Sri Chinmoy tulips on our East terrasse are still in full bloom. I may take some pictures of them.