Some thoughts on being a seeker

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 18 5:25 PM
      I spent a long time looking for a spiritual path. I had been interested in Sri Chinmoy's path for a few years, starting when I was seventeen. But it was only after reading Sri Chinmoy's books, associating with his students and finally meditating with him personally a number of times that I made the decision that this was definitely the right path for me. The decision to become his student came exclusively from me. And that decision was based on a lot of introspection and meditation.

      Likewise, I imagine that many seekers may be interested in this path. Sri Chinmoy was undoubtedly a great spiritual Master.

      I think the only way to determine whether or not a particular path is right for you is to actually try to experience it. If you start meditating early in the morning, maybe just for fifteen minutes, then you have started applying one important aspect of this path. If you give up meat, because fruits and vegetables have a calmer and more harmonious vibration, then you may see a difference in your own consciousness after a month or so. Likewise, you can start reading Sri Chinmoy's books like "Beyond Within" "Meditation" and "Death and Reincarnation" to get his perspective on higher Light and the purpose and meaning of the spiritual life. If you adopt an exercise routine to develop more purity and dynamism, then, once again, you're starting to take real steps in your own self-discovery.

      In other words, you can only perceive the truth of any path by putting those truths into practice and living them. You have the right to judge for yourself the authenticity and worth of any Master and any path.

      Sri Chinmoy spoke on this very issue in his book, "Mind-Confusion and Heart-Illumination".

      Question: If you told me you could swim across the ocean, I would say, "Let me see you do it." I wouldn't accept the fact that you could until I saw you do it, and then after I saw you do it, I'd say, "Well, now you can teach me."

      Sri Chinmoy: All right. But if you asked me to prove my capacity to swim, you would have to let me do it in my own way. If you asked me to prove my capacity with my hands tied behind my back and my feet tied together, I don't think I would be able to prove anything to you. Or if you refused to let me get into the water, or if you closed your eyes and refused to watch my performance, I don't think I could prove anything to you.

      There is a way for a spiritual Master to prove the truth of his philosophy or of his realisation, but you must allow him to do it in his own way. I would ask you to give up your doubts, your impurities, your attachments, your desires for a few months, and meditate with me sincerely, devotedly and soulfully. If you allowed me to prove myself in this way, you would very soon see and feel the truth. But if you said, "No, I don't want you to prove yourself in that way; right now I want you to show me God, Truth and Light right before my very eyes," then what could I do? I would be helpless at that time. If I brought God, Truth and Light before you, which I could do, at that time your inner eyes would be tightly shut and you would not see anything, so you would still doubt my capacity and my truth.

      You can find the rest of Sri Chinmoy's extremely illumining and interesting reply here:

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0143/1/20

      Not all of Sri Chinmoy's disciples are bookish nerds like me. But if you like all coffee shops but Starbucks, enjoying staying up all night discussing the ontological implications of Melville's "Billy Budd", and have a car horn that blares out "I brake for Cezanne!", then I'd be happy to welcome you to our path!

      With much gratitude to all travelers and seekers,

      Mahiruha
    • louisanaturelle
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 19 4:41 AM
        Thank you Mahiruha for everything that you wrote here. We had a lecture last week (given by a boy from Prague) and now we give the classes. Although it is a very beautiful, fulfilling and inspiring experience to talk to the seekers, sometimes it seems to be very difficult. Before I start talking I am always afraid that I will not be able to tell them the right thing, but Guru always works through me and finally I can see that the seekers were inspired...
        What you wrote about being a seeker is very inspiring for me...
        My gratitude heart.

        Luiza -Bucharest Centre(Romania)
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 19 9:24 AM
          Hi, Mahiruha!

          I once had a car that had so much rust, the license plate fell out!

          Do I qualify?

          Kamalakanta
        • suchana27
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 29 6:52 PM
            Dear Mahiruha,
            Many thanks for this amazing invitation I will be sharing with seekers from now on. I am sure that any genuine spiritual traveler will be delighted to experience Guru´s path, the path of the Heart, in so different levels.

            Best regards,
            Suchana