Flute Anniversary Celebration in New York

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2010
      Wednesday, March 10, of this year, 2010, is the 34th Anniversary of Sri
      Chinmoy first playing the Western flute. It happened in Melbourne,
      Australia in 1976. This evening at our Wednesday night meditation
      function in New York we celebrated this most auspicious occasion in
      simple and inspiring ways.

      After our usual time of silent meditation and singing three songs after
      the Invocation, we listened to a recording of Sri Chinmoy soulfully
      reciting his poem called `The Golden Flute', from the poetry
      book, `My Flute'. Then a group of singers led by Tanima sang
      the following selected songs: `My heart is a God-made flute
      medody', `The heart-flute plays only angel notes', `O my
      life-flute, dream. O my heat-flute, sing. O my soul-flute, smile',
      `Play your eagerness-flute on your way to God's Palace',
      `God drinks and drinks and drinks His Ecstasy-Flute Melody',
      `My Lord, Your Flute has stolen the tears of my heart', and then
      to finish we sang this song in honor of the first time he played the
      flute in Australia: `Australiai, Western flute, bajate suru kari,
      Ami ajo benche achi banshidhari kanur charan dhari'.

      After we sang these flute songs, two disciples came up to play on their
      flutes. This was a tradition that Guru liked to encourage at most of the
      flute anniversary functions in the past. I am sure there are more than
      two disciples who play the flute in the New York area but these two were
      the ones who were inspired to offer us their soulful performances. Maral
      played three soulful songs on a wooden flute and then Premik played some
      haunting melodies on his Western style flute similar to the ones Guru
      played.

      We also watched a video of Sri Chinmoy at a flute anniversary function
      at P.S. 86 about ten years ago. There were many drawings and paintings
      of Sri Chinmoy playing the flute displayed on standing units surrounding
      the stage. As he walked into the hall wearing a beautiful blue dhoti
      with a matching blue winter down jacket, Sri Chinmoy took time to look
      at each and every work of art that was submitted by disciples from many
      Centres.

      On stage was a small, beautiful white statue of Sri Chinmoy playing a
      flute which was unveiled and garlanded during his very deep meditation
      at the start of the function. Next to that was a very large photo of
      Sri Chinmoy playing the Western flute.

      At one point after playing eight songs on the flute beginning with
      `My Own Gratitude-Heart is all the Matters', Sri Chinmoy stood
      in front of the statue and kept playing. It was a very striking and
      powerful scene with the huge photo of him playing the flute in the
      background as he was actually playing the flute to a statue of himself
      playing the flute. I hope someone has a photo of that immortal scene
      that we can all share someday.

      When he was leaving the stage at the end of the function, he again was
      looking at some of the artwork on display. There had been a vote on the
      artwork by the hundreds of people that were present during the function
      and Sri Chinmoy was commenting on the first and second place paintings.
      His last enthusiastic and sweet comment before leaving was,
      "California won, oh, oh." Presumably someone from a California
      Centre got the most votes for their rendition of Guru playing the flute.
      I do not recall who it was but if anyone knows please speak up and
      identify your talented self.

      The Western flute was one of Sri Chinmoy's favorite instruments and
      he played it quite often for over 30 years. He also played many other
      types of flutes but I think the Western flute was the most listened to.
      Many of his flute recordings are on the Western flute, loved by everyone
      for their haunting melodies and peaceful qualities. Many people use
      these flute recordings to accompany their meditations when one wants
      peaceful, meditative music as a background instead of complete silence.
      The inner depth and beauty of these songs played on the flute by Sri
      Chinmoy offer a wonderful opportunity to experience a truly peaceful
      meditation.

      After this kind of celebration and meditation one can feel inspired to
      start playing the flute, or at least listening more to the flute as Sri
      Chinmoy so soulfully played it. We are so fortunate to have seen and
      heard him play so many flutes in so many different settings and styles.
      Remembering at least some of these moments helps us to not take for
      granted the many, many hours of practice and performances that Sri
      Chinmoy spent only to offer us all more peaceful and soulful
      opportunities to enter into the worlds of real, sweet, deep and powerful
      meditation.

      Flutefully,

      Arpan

    • purnakama2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2010
        Hi Arpan,

        Once again, thank you for the wonderful posts about what's happening in New York. It truly does help to keep one inspired.

        One of my favourite things was always listening to Guru play the flute; any flute. I can listen to his flute music CD's over and over and absolutely never tire of them. The ethereal quality of his playing seems brand new each time I hear it.

        I was not aware that it was Guru's flute anniversary this week, but it must have been somewhere in my consciousness as I pulled out the CD 'My Devotion-Heart-Melodies', and listened to it several times this week. This is the CD where Guru played 74 different flutes on the occasion of his 74th birthday. I remember watching that concert, absolutely enthralled. Listening to the CD brought it all back, especially with the crickets in the background. I could feel myself there again, floating away on the sweet melodies.
        Wish I could have been there for the anniversary celebration.

        Looking forward to your next report.

        Purnakama