Re: 7,000 Songs - A Remarkable Feat

  • sarada1007
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22 10:37 AM
      Hello Tejvan,

      Your posting reminds me of something I keep meaning to say about Sri Chinmoy's seated lifts.

      I work as a professional safety and health practitioner. This means that I advise on all areas of health and safety, including things to do with 'manual handling' (lifting, pushing, pulling, carrying and so forth). There are so many injuries which arise at work from lifting and handling, that the European Union issued a 'Directive' (bear with me, this does get more interesting!) specifically about manual handling. And then each EU member state had to produce it's own specific laws. In the UK we have the Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992, which come with a guidance document and guideline weights which are reasonable for about 95 percent of the working population to lift without a more detailed assessment taking place.

      If you are lifting at waist height whilst standing, perhaps moving a box from one table at waist height to another, then the guideline weight for men is 25kg and for women is 16kg. If greater weights are involved then you have to do a special detailed assessment.

      The interesting thing is that the guideline weight for sitting down and lifting something near to the waist is only 5kg for a man and 3kg for a woman. So you can see it is much harder to lift weights whilst seated than whilst standing. The fact that Sri Chinmoy did so much of his lifting from a seated position makes it all the more extraordinary.

      Sharada