I Heard The Spring Bird Singing

  • cott.doris
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2010
      I Heard The Spring Bird Singing

      In autumn, I often saw deer when I walked up the hill early in the morning. Now I am happy when I see their traces in the snow from time to time.

      The winter is almost over and I dare to hope for spring. The world is still dressed in white and it's okay. It is not just okay it's wonderful to feel the crackling of frozen slush under the feet while walking up the hill and breathe in the cold, fresh air. For a moment, I wish it would never be otherwise.

      On this white winter morning, I heard a bird singing so beautifully that I stopped walking because the biting frost under my feet was screaming too loud as to hear quieter sounds. The song reminded me of the early morning hours of a typical early spring. Spontaneously I said to myself: "A Spring song! Spring has arrived!" I couldn't help but smile.

      I continued to walk up into the forest, and again I allowed myself to be tempted to dream of spring, by listening to the lapping of the many little streams, incessant and clear, covered with a thin layer of ice.

      In December I was reminded of a children's poem that I learned in school: "... oh, would hours pass as fast as seconds!" It seems we go round in circles with our desires. As children, we dreamed of Santa Claus, as adults, we dream of the warming sun in spring. And as I stood at one of the little streams, I thought, "Oh, may the hours pass as fast as seconds."

      It is simply a lie that I love winter, I just accept it as inevitable and make the best out of everything. It is a trick to bridge the time to finally, finally see again blossoming flowers, hear the birds chirping, and to absorb the warmth of the sun.

      It seems that we cannot escape this perpetual cycle, but I'm glad that there is an inner summer, not passing as long as we allow the inner sun to shine.

      And so I continued to wander through the endless white and felt angry for a moment about an invisible yodeler that dared to break the silence with his "singing". He yodeled so loud that one felt compelled to listen. I changed my mind and thought that it didn't sound too bad actually. This invisible someone yodeled so happily and cheerfully that after a while I even walked in the direction from where the tones resounded.

      I laughed at myself and wondered how beguiling Krishna's flute playing must have been, so that the gopis would put down their work and follow him.

      Still feeling a smile on my face I slowly walked back down the icy hill.

      http://doris-cott.blogspot.com/

      * * *

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25, 2010
        Doris, it is so good to read your description of your winter walk. I visited your German blog afterwards and with my own minimal knowledge of the German language tried to read a little of your posts there. It seems that below is an English translation of a post shared there in German. I feel lucky to get to experience it here, so nicely expressed. I am actually surprised that no one has yet replied to it because I am sure there are others besides me who appreciated your poetic descriptions wed to intense spiritual yearning and aspiration.

        How lucky to see deer "often" on this walk, if not now in Winter. I became rather entranced with these miniature deer that lived on the grounds of the hotel where we stayed in Cartagena on the Christmas trip. Most of them would let you approach them and then if you held out your hand, they would lick and wash you with great vigor. Or you could see them washing each other with equal enthusiasm. I think all hotels should offer such attractions!

        Sharani
      • cott.doris
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27, 2010
          Dear Sharani,

          Thank you for your very kind words. I will always remember your lovely bike-path stories and I am looking forward to read or watch spring "news". Here the weather is just fantastic though often changing! Today I bought the first pansies and primroses from the colorful marketÂ…!

          For the second time I am trying the google translator for this post, what I had resisted previously. One must be pretty careful that it does not distort the meaning of a text, so I corrected the translation as carefully as I could. Now, the words sound to me a little strange, but this is probably due to my simple way of writing in German (...not poetic at all!)

          It was not my intention that anyone should translate my blog entries, it was only about the photos, but I appreciate that you took the trouble of trying and, yes, you guessed correctly.

          Oh, deer! I suppose we see them in autumn more often because the leaves fall from the trees and the branches become barren. It seems to be innate for deer to hide. The fawns are hiding already shortly after their birth. Even their own mother has difficulty to find them sometimes.

          Not only we but they too have to adjust to changing environmental conditions. I was surprised when I saw two deer last weekend in the middle of an open field, next to the highway, grazing peacefully. And I was pleasantly surprised to see a bridge that was especially built for animals to secure their crossing.

          "My deer" I have already become familiar to, but I have not seen them for some time. They seem to be mother and child. Graciously the mother allowed me to take two pictures but the quality is not good.

          I read that deer are able to distinguish between different minerals in different foods at different seasons. After the mother taught her fawn the right food to choose, she goes out of sight to graze, to avoid confusion.

          I will never forget the beautiful image of the deer I unexpectedly saw while walking around a bent one morning in the forest. There is no photograph of that moment of enchantment. I immediately stopped walking and stood there silently to enjoy the scene as long as possible.

          Slowly, mother and child, emerged from the bushes along the narrow path, apparently enjoying the sunrays. Silently they stood there in an ocean of red and golden shimmering leaves, but the mother deer saw me and quickly they disappeared in the thicket while the sun-streaks broke through the branches playing with the morning mist. What remained at the end of the pathway was a sunlit mist fan that gave one the illusion of a light-flooded gate I would have loved to walk through. I really didn't know for a moment whether I was dreaming or awake.

          http://tinyurl.com/ydurvng

          http://tinyurl.com/ykmkg8m

          * * *

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
            Hi Doris,
            No Spring News from me yet although where I live was spared a big snowstorm unlike New York City a few days ago. I think I am just carrying the feeling of warm weather in my heart from the Christmas Trip. I took seemingly a zillion photos of beaches in Puerto Rico along with video footage of the waves crashing onto the shore. I may just watch those every time I need to feel a sense of peace washing up on the shore of my soul.

            Now I remember that you did not like Google translator very much so I assure you that I looked at your site in German only and because I studied German some in school years ago, I was able to recognize your blog post there. I cannot read German fluently but I could make out the general sense of things in your posts. I better hope I don't get quizzed though, :-)

            Wishing you a sweet Spring season as it arrives,