Re: First World Harmony Run 2010 in Puerto Rico!

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 17, 2010
      Thank you, Suchana, for mentioning the World Harmony Run in Puerto Rico. I hope most disciples and others will visit the website to see the great photos by Jowan and my story which was a joy to write.
      http://www.worldharmonyrun.org

      This was only one of the many highlights of the Puerto Rico trip which just ended. For me it is still ending as I stayed two extra days to take some trips to other parts of this beautiful island. I am writing this on my last night here. More on that later.

      Other events worth mentioning briefly here, hoping that others will give their own personal accounts soon, are:
      The Songs of the Soul Concert last Saturday, visits to the Centre, the Statue dedication, and the very inspiring daily functions in a comfortably large room at the main hotel, which, by the way was across the street from the very clean and warm beach on the Atlantic Ocean. We also ran our one-mile and two-mile races on the beach, with most runners running barefoot.

      Of course, all this said, it can only be truly all worthwhile if one derives spiritual inspiration and aspiration from the experiences. I noticed that even in a virtual 'paradise', our mind, vital, and body can create unhappy situations.

      It is our choice as to how we experience our environment, whether it be in a tropical paradise or a busy city. San Juan had a bit of both, but in general, because of the spiritual environment created on these trips, one could derive much joy and inspiration from the experiences here if they try.

      Here is a prayer that Sri Chinmoy composed on the Australia or New Zealand Trip about seven years ago, if I recall correctly:
      "My choice.
      Either my pride-head
      Or
      God's Nectar-Feet."

      I encourage others to share some of the 'Nectar' they may have felt in any small way on this trip, either in Puerto Rico or some of the other countries as well. Are there any comparisons from one country to another worth mentioning as well?

      Gratefully,
      Arpan
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 19, 2010
        I enjoyed reading your account Arpan and the photos are indeed "great". I am curious if you made it to Vieques Island during your trip there - I went on an overnight side trip to this island which is a 1 1/2 hr ferry ride from the eastern coast of Puerto Rico.

        The trip to this island was certainly a sightseeing highlight for me. Between the undeveloped state of the island (half of it was a U.S. military base until 1983) and the exquisite beaches, along with the bioluminescent bay night swim, I truly morphed into one serious beach lover! If I had to choose, I think I would rank Vieques Island as the most beautiful ocean, beach and nature setting I have experienced anywhere in the world.

        I do hope to write about the statue dedication in the botanical garden and other Sri Chinmoy Centre Puerto Rico Christmas Trip highlights soon. Until then, I have started sharing photos so far just of Cartagena, Colombia over at:
        http://tinyurl.com/d4pak

        Sharani
        p.s. Palyati has also loaded an album of Cartagena trip photos as well at the Centre Galleries.
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 22, 2010
          Hi, Suchana!

          It was, indeed, a very moving event, being received by the First Lady in Puerto Rico. She was so nice, humble and sweet! A great representative of our people.

          At the first school we visited we had a great time also. There were about 200 children, and the nun who is the principal for the school had so much love for them! You could see it in her eyes. These children were fantastic, as it should be, when they are showered by their teachers with genuine love and concern.

          I hope we do a much bigger run in the near future....

          with gratitude, Kamalakanta
        • pavaka_cambrian
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 22, 2010
            Thanks Sharani and Palyati for the pics of Cartagena. I've been there twice on business and really enjoyed it. I was sad I couldn't go as part of the Christmas trip, but the pictures help to console :-)

            Pavaka
          • suchana27
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 22, 2010
              Once again thank you, Arpan, for giving us a heartfelt account of your trip to Puerto Rico.

              It would be great to learn more news from other visitors as well!

              Suchana
            • suchana27
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 22, 2010
                Your photos of Sri Chinmoy´s Statue dedication in Puerto Rico are very, very beautiful Sharani!

                I never thought there was such a huge botanical garden on earth, with hills and so many different trees.

                Photos showing the flowers offering and Prasad (blessed food)have deeply touched my heart. And I feel the whole scenery like the outer form of the Kingdom of Heaven.

                Joyfully,
                Suchana
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 25, 2010
                  Dear Suchana,
                  The botanical garden is quite lovely and the feeling around the statue is very, very peaceful. I had the opportunity to return to the statue 2 days after the ceremony dedication and saw the statue again - by then installed on a platform just constructed the prior day.

                  It is nothing less than extraordinary to consider how unique and special each and every statue is that I have visited. My sentiments change as I ponder each one and tend to feel that the one I have just experienced recently is the best. :-)

                  Meditating at the Puerto Rico statue with only a few others present and the garden itself actually closed to the public offered a true inner thrill. I can only hope that many people eventually share the opportunity to visit a statue of Sri Chinmoy somewhere in the world if they have not already done so. I can honestly declare that I saw the eyes of the statue move, it was so alive with Sri Chinmoy's consciousness.

                  I must confess, however, if I must say it aloud - I left my heart in Mazatlan. The statue of Sri Chinmoy holding the Peace Torch and the warm-hearted, friendly and inspiring members of the Mazatlan Sri Chinmoy Centre still resonate inside me with a current of sweet memories. One of Guru's songs about Mazatlan mentions angels and I cannot recall any other song composed about a geographic location that has angels in its meaning. Does this provide a clue to its special appeal??

                  Then again, the meditation facing the statue in Puerto Rico left me feeling that I was standing right inside Guru's heart. It was so, so powerful.

                  So I guess the moral of the story is that the world is richly blessed to receive these expressions of the legacy of Sri Chinmoy's lifetime of service to the world around him, made tangible in the form of a life-size statue.

                  Sharani
                • suchana27
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010
                    Dear Sharani,
                    Just by reading your posting I am getting great inspiration and hope to join you for visiting Sri Chinmoy's statues this year.

                    I am sure that our kind family in Mazatlan will be happy to see you back too!

                    In oneness,
                    Suchana