Re: *Very* OT OT: Adventures in linguistics

  • tejvan_13
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2010
      Mahiruha,

      I've been trying for the past week to think of something suitably witty in reply. But, alas the comic muse deserted.

      I love accents and the variety of English dialects, though it must be tough on those learning English as a foreign language. When I, a native speaker, struggle to understand my Gaelic brothers, what hope would a non-English speaker have?

      Now, as to 'Shan't' - the word certainly gives no joy. Let us dive into the wonderful world of P.G.Wodehouse and the Inimitable Jeeves and Wooster.

      Jeeves: Am I to infer sir that you might be offering yourself for election?
      Bertie: Your inference is as always slap on the button and leading by a length in the final furlong, Jeeves.

      Now just imagine if Bertie Wooster had said. "Yes, I shall or No, I shan't"...

      **Some Other Memorable Quotes from the Wit of P.G.Wodehouse**

      Wooster: "If you ask me Jeeves, art is responsible for most of the trouble in the world."
      Jeeves: "It's an interesting theory, Sir. Would you care to expatiate upon it?"
      Wooster: "As a matter of fact, no Jeeves. No The thought just occurs to me, you know, as thoughts do."

      Jeeves: Travel is highly educational, Sir.
      Bertie: I cannot do with any more education, Jeeves. I was full up years ago!

      To make sense of Jeeves and Wooster.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tj7P4KtB7s - Jeeves and Wooster arrive in NY.

      ~

      Tejvan