23rd Anniversary of 7,063 ¾ lbs. Lift

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2010
      "Seven Thousand Pounds,
      I have reached my goal! My poor body smiles through my rich soul. God in Heaven, God on earth asks me one thing:
      Oneness-fulness song, am I ready to sing?

      This is the song we sang tonight at the function celebrating the one-arm miracle lift of Sri Chinmoy. Early in the morning on January 30, 1987, in front of about a dozen amazed spectators at his home, Sri Chinmoy was able to slightly lift an unbelievable apparatus overhead consisting of 100 pound iron plates, the equivalent of almost 71 of them, with his right arm.

      After meditating for a while on the iron plates and in a prayerful and soulful yet powerful consciousness, Sri Chinmoy, at the age of 55 and a half, was able to move this huge specially built apparatus off of its supporting harness overhead. Afterwards he invited his disciples who could come to New York that day to walk past the apparatus in a soulful meditation in which he was present. He then blessingfully and humbly offered to us Prasad, or sanctified food, as we walked out of that most spiritually charged room.

      Last night's function dedicated to this achievement also included some plays about Sri Chinmoy's weightlifting from his own narrated stories. We also watched a few videos including Sri Chinmoy lifting the World's Smallest Horse, Thumbellina, in 2006.

      Another video included the lifting of the World's Strongest Man of 2002, Hugo Girard, along with six-time Mr. Universe Bill Pearl, to whom Guru gave the spiritual name, 'Mahasamrat'.
      We were blessed to hear one of his many comments on Sri Chinmoy's weightlifting which he personally supported and loved so much. Bill Pearl said,

      "Sri Chinmoy is no longer a threat to the weightlifting or bodybuilding world, because what he is doing is absolutely unbelievable. He has moved beyond the threatening into the unbelievable. It is beyond human comprehension! This man is of Godly strength. He is truly amazing. It is humanly impossible for the body's joints to even budge this kind of weight. Just to support this kind of weight in any way is a miracle. He is not merely lifting a dumbbell. He is trying to lift the attitude of the world. He is showing us that mind can surpass matter, that when we reach for the highest through meditation we succeed in anything."

      At the end of this most uplifting yet modest celebration, a few people told some recollections of what it was like being there at that time. I myself was fortunate to be at the walk-past meditation after the lift. The most sublime, powerful yet peaceful feeling surrounded the whole house as we all made a short pilgrimage there.

      A few months ago I was able to see that very apparatus of 7,063 pounds that is being stored in a place where I had to do some work. Seeing it again after all these years brought back the incredible sense of outer impossibility and inner spirituality as I observed the huge and powerful truss-like structure. Guru's own ability to experience a oneness with the metal plates instead of fighting with their relative weight perhaps made them seem much lighter than they were in the relative physical world.

      However one looks at it, with mental belief or even disbelief, the powerful inner and outer consciousness that pervades the very structure and even the photos of it is definitely real and convincing in its own uplifting effect on our limited minds and receptive consciousness. This truly is an event and an anniversary worth remembering and honoring.

      Gratefully,
      Arpan
    • mcmugged
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2010
        Arpan, thank you for posting such great descriptions of these events and miracles.
        Linda
        Tri-Cities
      • mahiruha_27
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
          Arpan,

          I agree with Linda! What a wonderful description! Thank you so much!

          Mahiruha
        • suchana27
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2010
            Dear Linda,

            You know that it was called ¨The One-Arm Miracle Lift¨ as it is read on the beautiful triptic big card I received 22 years ago for the 1st Anniversary Celebration.

            It is not easy to place this card with a frame so I always keep it on the shelf with some of Guru´s photos and books. When you try to fold the card you can see like a cottage with two white and black photos of Guru lifting this unbelievable weight of metal.

            At that time it was my feeling that, after this miracle, he had changed for the better the course of mankind; that once again he had put into practice his poetry-vision -¨In God´s dictionary the word ´impossibility´ does not exist.¨(unofficial)

            One of the side folds has ¨A Soulful Prayer-Offering¨ offered by Guru prior to this lifting:

            ¨God the Compassion,
            Man the gratitude.

            Man the height,
            God the Delight.

            Man the perfection-dream,
            God the Satisfaction-Reality.¨
            (unofficial)

            The floor of this card-cottage has some extra information:

            Date: 30 January 1987 Time: 1:25 a.m.
            Weight: 162 1/4 pounds Training: 19 months

            Lift equals: over 43 1/2 times body weight
            Succeeded in: first training session
            Total number of attempts: 5 (in 47 minutes)
            Successful attempts: 3rd, 45th, 5th (in 25 minutes)

            When you close all the folds of this card-cottage, the big title reads -¨A 20th Century God-Compassion-Miracle¨ on countless ´Gratitude´ words.

            Thank you so much to Arpan for his account.

            In celebration,
            Suchana
          • jadranka11
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 10, 2010
              Thank you Arpan for posting about the events that are really significant for all of us. I remember my amazement when I saw the photo of Guru lifting these metals for the first time.

              Greetings to all,

              Jadranka, Belgrade
            • jadranka11
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 10, 2010
                Dear Suchana,

                It would be great if you could scan the postcard and put it on site, so we can see the things that were happening at that time. For us who came a little bit later, it is precious to have a larger picture of the events that marked Guru's manifestation at that time.

                Gratitude,

                Jadranka
              • suchana27
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 12, 2010
                  Dear Jadranka,

                  I will gladly scan this photo-postcard but I am not in position to put it on site.
                  I just need to know who should I send it in order to do that job.

                  There were also huge color photos of that Guru´s unique weightlifting in some programmes made for Guru´s Concerts in Europe and Australia at that time,I guess. We may get copies of them in April Celebrations.

                  In oneness,
                  Suchana