OT OT New York West

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2010
      People who live in Chicago actually prefer to call their city "The New York of the Midwest"; or "New York West" to be more concise.

      I am not making this up.

      Oh, I know what you're thinking- there's only one Big Apple- well New York West is the Big Squash, which looks like an apple at a tremendous distance.

      As considered part of the very greater New York City metropolitan area, New York West offers some interesting contrasts with the rest of the city. I mean, political elections are held at different times of the year from the other five boroughs, and we don't get a vote as to New York City's mayor. It feels a little bit like being a colony- tribute without representation.

      However, the pizza here is definitely a few notches up from the mother country. I mean, stuffed with layers of mozzarella and parmigiano, between layers of soft, doughy crust, it really doesn't get any better than this.

      As for a baseball team that never wins- ever- and winters long enough to make you forget that things like sunshine and green grass actually exist somewhere- well, we'll just leave that part out.

      There's a jingle I heard two old men humming at the YMCA the other day: "Just outside Chicago, there's a place called Illinois..."

      I often forget I'm actually in the quaint, staid Midwest here. I'm slowly losing my New York drawl, though, which is good. I'm finally learning English!

      Mahiruha

      Alive and Well in New York West