Re: Mahasamadi Anniversary Weekend in New York

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 2009
      Thank you Arpan and Purnakama for sharing impressions of the second Mahasamdhi anniversary observances in New York from the evening of October 9th through the evening of October 11th.

      Several people told me that my impressions of the first anniversary observance made an "impression" on them so I just re-read what I wrote here last year:

      It was fascinating to read something that so perfectly described this year as well. It was frustrating as well because it raises the bar to find new words to express how deeply these meditations inspire me.

      The hardest part to fathom is that my participation in the formal activities was 24 + 2 hours and yet I felt as if I journeyed through several lifetimes inwardly. I arrived at Aspiration Ground late Saturday night and - like last year - observed the vigil through the night. I slept for a couple of hours the morning of the 11th and returned by 9:30 a.m. to participate in the day's program of observances which ran until midnight Sunday night.

      Like the talisman of rosary or japa beads, the laminated card that we received on October 11th sits on my meditation shrine at home. Because of the intensity of inner experience associated with the larger version of the same photograph at Aspiration Ground, now every time I look at the laminated photo card I will think of striving for God-Realization.

      My lunch hour at work is over. Perhaps I will write more later. Suffice it to say that for me personally the meditations and activities during the Mahasamadhi anniversary yet again rank as some of the highest experiences ever. Deepest thanks to all who organized candles, jasmine garlands, etc., blew conches and rang bells, sang, etc. to express our deepest love for our Guru.