Age Is In The Mind

  • cott_doris
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 15, 2009
      I woke up at night and couldn't fall asleep again. I tried to see myself as someone else to understand better what experience I had gone through the day before and to free myself from restless thoughts.

      I had been criticised considered having a grandmother's taste if not worse by someone who considers herself an artist. It hurt me to hear that from a person that according to me has a quite contradictory personality.

      I came to the conclusion that mine was not a grandmother's taste but having had the desire to create an outer divine atmosphere using Guru's aura colors light blue for decoration.

      I admit I fought a bit against a grandmother's consciousness. I myself had not conquered my limited understanding on age.

      In the corner of my mind I saw dusty rooms, shabby furnitures and untidy garments on untidy old people.

      Had I been able to look beyond the appearances I would have possibly realised they were poor and sick and perhaps nobody cared for them.

      Today I opened my heart to older people and have only gentle feelings and thoughts about them. I would even love to write a poem for all 'old' people of the world, but I leave it up to poets and writers.

      I know only one person here on earth that spoke kindly to and about age and that is our Guru. We too will become old one day it is the height of pride to judge others in any way.

      Often I think of old age with a heavy heart. We come into this world naked and helpless (as someone said) and we will go naked and perhaps sick and still suffering from the buffets of what is called human life.

      If I could I would love to compose a most beautiful poem and write it into the sky so that everybody can read. I am sure God has done it already for all.

      Guru has written so many poems! One poem I remember encourages us to imagine a grandfather and a grandchild holding hands. Such innocence, sweetness and tenderness!

      While looking up Sri Chinmoy Library for a poem I don't remember correctly I came across many other poems on age that reminded me that age exists only in the mind.

      THEY LOVE OUR AGEING LIFE
      Our infancy, Heaven loves.
      Our childhood, the angels love.
      Our adolescence, God the Dream loves.
      Our youth, God the Reality loves.
      Our old age, God the necessity loves.

      http://tinyurl.com/yzfznzb

      Doris
    • sarala392
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 20, 2009
        Hi Doris:

        Ah yes, Sri Chinmoy has some very inspiring things to say about age that keep it all in perspective. The outside onslaught of misinterpretations as one ages in the physical is always a surprise. I was reading some of Sri Chinmoy's pieces over the last few days, and decided I will read at least one a day to solidify my 7-year-old age-composure. I'll post some of them.

        The following is from Sri Chinmoy Answers, Part 35, p. 36 on June 1 1996 after competing in the California Senior Games

        "The younger you can become, the faster will be your progress…If you sincerely want to make faster progress, you have to have a childlike heart. By any means, I am begging each and every disciple to bring back your child-hood consciousness…When you were a little boy or a little girl, you were a most beautiful flower. Then over the years age descends on us. We become fruits and then the fruits become rotten. So let us not grow into fruits. Let us only feel that every day we are blossoming, blossoming. Every day we shall blossom and place ourselves at the Feet of our Lord Beloved Supreme.

        "To each and everyone I am saying, try to make yourself young. Feel that you are only seven years old if you want to make the fastest progress. I assure you, this is the most effective way to make the fastest progress. Do not think that you have to be childish. It is not childish but childlike that we wish to become. God Himself is childlike. When we are childish, we do many, many stupid things. But to go back to our childhood days is not a stupid thing…

        "Age is in the mind; age is not in the body. When we think that we are old, that is the end, the very end, of our journey. Every day at every moment only think that you are a seven year old or a nine year old or ten year old, but do not think that you are over thirty. Do not make it into thirty-one and absolutely not into forty-one! If you cannot make yourself into a seven year old child, then at the maximum think of thirteen…

        "There are some men and women, especially some women, who have surrendered to age. I am telling you that you have to surrender to your heart, not to the mind. If you surrender to your heart, you can make progress every day. If you surrender to your mind, your progress will come to a complete halt… While you are doing anything, make the movement faster. Bring back your childlike days when you used to run and play with utmost joy."

        And from Never Grow Old, p. 22

        Your life has to be
        A birthless and deathless
        Aspiration-adventure.

        By Sri Chinmoy (unofficial)
      • cott_doris
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 22, 2009
          Dear Sarala,

          This was just what I had to read.

          Recently I turned fifty. As a lover of nature I tapped into the trap of seeing myself the way Sri Chinmoy describes it - becoming a fruit and then get rotten.

          I was surprised to read there is a chance not to become a fruit!

          Can I ever be grateful enough for the Master's tireless encouragements?

          The poem you have chosen says it all perfectly:

          > And from Never Grow Old, p. 22
          >
          > Your life has to be
          > A birthless and deathless
          > Aspiration-adventure.
          >
          > By Sri Chinmoy (unofficial)

          Thank you

          Doris

          P.S. To think of oneself as a child might be tricky at times for those who didn't have a very happy one.
        • sarala392
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 26, 2009
            Hi Doris:

            Congrats on the 50th! You are doing what you are supposed to be doing at that age; something I was told one time, i.e. we assess our lives between 49 and 56. The next period is entrenchment, and we do the best work of our lives in our 70s! Exciting!

            As for the childhood happiness thing--the polarity of creation. The further you pull back a rubber band, the greater distance it will launch a diamond. A lotus does grow out of mud, and an exquisite rose doesn't deny its thorny stem. We surrender the imperfections to the Divine Will for illumination and transcendence.

            Appropriately, I just opened "Age Does Not Matter" where Sri Chinmoy says (p. 16)

            Age does not matter
            Unless you prefer
            Your mind-thorns
            To your heart-roses.

            And p. 7
            Age does not matter
            Unless you allow yourself
            To be frightened
            By the beauty and fragrance
            Of newness.

            You may remember the bag of books he gave us on his 70th birthday. One, "If I Could Start My Life Once More" has a sweet little verse on p. 11:

            If I could start my life
            Once more,
            I would every day become
            A new morning rose
            In the garden of the universe.

            And p. 60:
            If I could start my life
            Once more,
            I would see how far
            I could go ahead,
            Instead of looking back.

            So these are my inspirations for today. I'm off to dream dreams, sing songs, and look for joys in the garden of my heart!

            Take care.
            Sarala
          • cott_doris
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2009
              Dear Sarala,

              It's true I have been thinking a lot about death and all this lately but the best would be not to think at all.

              What more can I say? You said it all perfectly.

              Thank you for your inspiration.

              Doris

              P.S. How does Dream-Dream-Land look like?

              P.P.S. Speaking of dreams - I was about to upload a series of wonderful autumn pictures I took in a nearby forest and post the link but it seems I am delaying in Patience-Land: It takes eternity...
            • sarala392
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 11, 2009
                Dear Doris:

                Dreams, imagination, awe and wonder are very much part of expanding consciousness, aren't they? Until I was blessed inwardly by many, many persistent calls over decades from Sri Chinmoy (whom I had
                never met over this period) with his inimitable "Come", my God was rather static in His presence, loving, subtle, full of light, but rather bound in locus.

                I have since discovered His worlds of unending attributes. One that always turns over my little heart is the concept of the Divine Magician, in His appearances and disappearances in so many everyday disguises. I found this quote the other day:

                Sri Chinmoy: "God likes magic very much because He is the Divine Magician. Every second He is doing something, only we don't see it. God is the Supreme Magician. When we use our outer eye we don't see His Magic, but when we use our inner eye we see His Magic all the time. Again, it is one thing to use our inner vision and another thing to become one with His Transcendental Vision. At that time we don't call it magic at all, but a necessary and inevitable experience.
                The outer being has no inner vision; it is blind. That is why we can't see God's Magic at all. Millions and billions of things He is doing at every moment. But these human eyes are useless. Again, the inner vision sees everything. Inner vision does not necessarily mean inner oneness, inseparable oneness. You can see a painting with your eye, but you may not become one with it. Similarly, you may see God's Magic with your inner vision, but you may not become one with it."

                ------Excerpt from Occultism And Mysticism by Sri Chinmoy.

                We just need the eyes of a 7-year-old. In the words of Christ, "Unless you become as little children, you will never enter into the Kingdom of Heave..." Matthew 18: 3-4

                Did you upload your autumn pictures yet?

                Sarala
              • cott_doris
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 17, 2009
                  Dear Sarala,

                  That is all so right!

                  I just rewatched The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry:

                  "We can see good only with the heart."

                  Doris

                  P.S.: Autumn pictures are not uploaded yet because of slow internet connection at the moment but I am sure you enjoyed the golden autumn. It was nice to read Durga-Mata thought of me writing a poem (I enjoyed reading her autumn post) but I am absolutely incapable of writing such a poem. To me autumn *is* a most beautiful poem.

                  I found one in the book 77'000 Service-Trees by Sri Chinmoy:

                  13892
                  May I be the sweetness
                  And fulness
                  Of the whispers of falling leaves.