Re: Photos of Joy Day in Nice, France

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
      Hi Pavitrata,
      Thanks so much! It was lovely to come to the Joy Day in France and seeing your *always* wonderful photos helped spur me on to push through the jet lag and get at least Joy Day related ones up as well.

      I must confess that I feel a bit awed at how much sightseeing we did in a mere 5 days. Now I am still catching my breath even though jet lag is usually easier coming back than going to Europe from the U.S. After the Joy Day ended on Sunday afternoon, we set out at 3 pm to take the bus to Cagnes-sur-Mer and managed to go to the Renoir Museum which was his house on a hill and then found out that there is a free shuttle from the center of town up the hill to the Castle Grimaldi and Medieval Village surrounding it. Somehow later that same night we ended up in Cannes, only to have excellent gelato and come back home. This bus line that ran along the coast let you travel pretty much anywhere for one Euro per ride. We certainly milked that for all it was worth.

      I'm still mesmerized by the Russian Church in Nice as well. It was my first visit to one ever and it seemed to be fascinating blend of East and West. The ornate gold decorations and paintings on the walls and icons reminded me of a Hindu temple. The domes and floral designs on the wall interiors reminded me of the Blue Mosque in Istanbul and the Christian imagery reminded me of a Western European cathedral. I haven't spontaneously started meditating so powerfully in a church ever before. It was also quite historic that the Crown Prince is buried there who would have become a Tsar if he hadn't died.

      La Monastere in Nice also had a nice :-) museum and church about the Franciscan monks. In this one enlarged photo of the monks in the museum, you absolutely feel that you could be looking at various students of Sri Chinmoy. The resemblance to present day disciples was uncanny.

      Roman ruins nearby the Matisse Museum (also a house that Matisse lived in like the Renoir one) transported me back to visits to ruins in Turkey.

      Almost by accident we went to the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild and the Baroness Beatrice who built it sounds like a fascinating and eccentric character. One of my friends said she liked it better than Versailles. The gardens are extraordinary and I will definitely be playing with photos from there and video of the musical fountain show. Her husband passed away and the entire place was built under her direction and watchful eye. She was a real perfectionist and loved to travel, collect art, etc.

      The condensed nature of art and culture possible to explore just along that small stretch of the south coast of France defies imagination. It made the Joy Day itself all the more memorable.

      Vive la France toujours,
      Sharani
    • sarada1007
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2009
        Many, many thanks to Ashani and Manjula and everyone else who helped to organise the Joy Weekend in Nice. I can't remember having a better setting for a Joy Weekend.

        Sharada :)