Arpan's Ageathon

  • utpalmarshall
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 25, 2009
      Arpan is neither a stranger to this site or to the world of running. On thursday, his birthday, he took part in a project that he has been doing continuously for the past 31 years. He ran the same number of miles as his age. In this case he ran 57miles.

      http://perfectionjourney.org/2009/07/24/july-23-ageathon/

      As his course this year he selected the same one the 3100 mile runners have been using for the past 13 years. Right now most are nearing the end of their long summer long adventure.

      much thanks
      Utpal
    • suchana27
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 26, 2009
        Beautiful photos and stories, Utpal! Inner promises, faith, determination in motion, all this is great inspiration!

        Congratulations,
        Suchana
      • arpan_deangelo
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 27, 2009
          Suchana,

          Your sincere encouragement and oneness with everyone here is much appreciated. Thank you for all your beautiful posts and your uplifting replies as well.

          Gratefully,
          Arpan
        • dmchaudhurani
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 27, 2009
            Since I am close in age to Arpan (a few months older, my birthday is April) his Ageathalon is especially inspiring to me. I am not fit enough to run much at the moment. I did manage to complete the 2 mile races in April celebrations, but can't run for more than a few minutes without feeling a lot of strain and stress - and my speed is slower than a fast walk. So I am trying to improve fitness, reduce fatness and generally build up strength and stamina by cycling a few miles most days.

            I'm lucky to live near the river Thames in a beautiful part of London with a wooded towpath to cycle on not far from my home. But Arpan's running really has inspired me to get back on my feet. the reference given is to a report on the race site:

            http://perfectionjourney.org/2009/07/24/july-23-ageathon/

            Happy Birthday Arpan and CONGRATULATIONS on your running.

            Thanks too for the great race reports

            Durga-Mata
          • arpan_deangelo
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2009
              Thank you Durga-Mata and others for your kind response to the Ageathon report that Utpal wrote about my birthday runs. I feel so blessed and fortunate to still have the stamina and strength to run long distances. Even though my speed has naturally decreased quite a bit running, especially racing, is very exciting and inspiring to me.

              But not everyone should or could run. Walking briskly, biking, swimming and other aerobic exercises offer the same or even more inner and outer benefit as running does for others.

              I like to combine running with other activities when I can such as swimming or cycling. As long as we keep moving, both in the outer and inner planes of our existence on Earth, we will feel the joy and energy of the Supreme's manifestation in and through us.

              I hope we can all follow Guru Sri Chinmoy's advice and radiant example of staying fit until our very last day. May the Supreme give us the strength and courage to do so, each in our own way.

              Gratefully,
              Arpan
            • suchana27
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2009
                Arpan, as you say, Guru´s radiant example of staying fit until the last day has been spreading beautifully in Ashprihanal´s land -Finland. The World Masters Athletics Championship are taking place in Lahti at the moment.

                ¨Running is living¨, has said Efrain Wachs (91) from Argentina after having won the golden medal in the 8 km race. He has also participated in several different olympic disciplines this last week. It is so funny because he also has the Argentinian and South American records for his category! Other athletes are younger.

                When his wife (84) was interviewed here, she said that he left the country with his two personal trainers ¨who took him so far away just to fulfil God´s Will with a lot of determination¨.
                Do you know how he celebrated his 91 birthday several months ago? Just by running 100 meters ninety-one times! He started running after he got his retirement 21 years ago and from that younger age -70- he has been celebrating his birthday in that same -grateful -way. He then changed the chess competitions for races.

                There are inspiring photos of all athletic grand-parents participants in the official site of the Ministry of Education in Finland. They all look so childlike and joyful!

                I have learned something once again -it is never too late to start running!

                Best regards,
                Suchana
              • arpan_deangelo
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 11, 2009
                  What an inspiring story. We always need this kind of inspiration even from the outer world. Here is some more 'ageless' inspiration from the inner world. It is the last paragraph of the Everest-Aspiration talk by Sri Chinmoy called 'Newness'.

                  "Prayer defies age. Concentration defies age. Meditation defies age. Our inner cry is the mother and father of our prayer, concentration and meditation. So let us make friends with this inner cry. Let our body, vital, mind and heart make friends with this inner cry. With the inner cry our entire existence, outer and inner, will become an ever new existence-reality, an ever new, ever fulfilling Dream of God in and through us."
                  http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0355/1/22

                  Gratefully,
                  Arpan