Re: A quote from Leonard Bernstein

  • harmonyvision
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2004
      Subject: Re: A quote from Leonard Bernstein

      I think there are many
      musicians who lead a worldly
      life, but in their hearts they
      know the divine significance
      of music. The instant rapport
      they feel with Sri Chinmoy
      stems from this shared
      universal understanding.

      Leonard Bernstein was a great
      composer whose music moved a
      lot of people. I confess I
      don't like it as much as Bach
      or Beethoven, but to
      paraphrase a famous line from
      On The Waterfront: "He could
      have been a contender."
      (Personal opinion only!)

      In his dialogues wth Sri
      Chinmoy on music and
      spirituality, Leonard
      Bernstein commented:

      "I think the secret is what you said about not a fleeting second. The
      secret of music is that it makes time stop. We are all prisoners of
      clock time: "I have to be at my job" or "I have to see my wife" or "I
      promised I would be there at eight o'clock and it's now that time."
      What music does is release you from that, so that you can be in the
      time of the music. And though it may last 35 minutes or 65 minutes,
      it's an eternity because within the dimensions of each composition
      there exists an eternal time, which is the time of that composition.
      Even if it's a little piece like the "Marriage of Figaro Overture,"
      which is four minutes, while you are listening to that Overture, you
      are in cosmic time. It could be the equivalent of four years of
      experience--a lifetime! And if it's "Tristan and Isolde," which is four
      and a half hours plus intermissions, then that's another kind of
      lifetime that you live during the duration of the music. Some kinds of
      time cannot be counted. It's neither hours nor minutes nor seconds, but
      the time that is expressed by the genius who wrote the music: Mozart,
      Wagner, Stravinski or whoever it is. And it's a great privilege to live
      in that piece of time--to exist within that piece of music forever. It
      is a privilege like being with Sri Chinmoy. It is timeless, whatever
      the duration of the work is. While in this world, you don't have to
      make an appointment. You don't have to rush. You just listen for the
      privileged to have that experience. "

      I'm still waiting for a production of West Side Story put on by
      students of Sri Chinmoy. Just picture Sandesh, Priyadarshan and Suchana
      singing "We like it here in America."

      Then there's this little ditty from Leonard Bernstein's "Mass" (1971):

      "God said, Let there be gnats
      Let there be sprats to gobble the gnats
      So that the sprats may nourish the rats
      Making them fat, fine food for the cats
      And they grew fat, brother
      And they grew fat, brother..."

      Not quite "Gloria en excelsis Deo", but good for a laugh!

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, morrisklein27 <