Two Months to Self-Transcendence Marathon

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2009
      With two months to go before the Self-Transcendence Marathon in the most beautiful Rockland Lake State Park I am sure many of us are thinking of just how to get our training `in gear' so we can have a decent marathon time.

      A few weeks ago I wrote a post about starting to train for August. The link is:
      The poem I quoted from Sri Chinmoy is:

      "The spiritual life is a marathon,

      An inner marathon which never ends.

      The Supreme is begging

      All His seeker-children

      To be excellent runners-

      To run speedily, like deer-

      In this eternal inner journey."

      Or all those who can run or walk and want to try and cover that very special distance, with this inspiration we can at least start our journey from today. If you have not already started your training, now is the time to organize a program and try to follow it. It does not have to be scientifically or professionally developed. Just start from where you are and with what you can do now on a daily basis and slowly increase it weekly if possible.

      With about eight weeks of training time left you can slowly or quickly work up to 50K or more per week of running and walking if necessary. Some more experienced runners can try to get up to at least 100K a week at least for a few weeks if they are more serious about finishing faster and stronger.

      Whether you do 50K(31 miles) in a week or 100K(62 miles) in a week, it is more important to be consistent in training daily, or at least 5 to 6 days per week. Each daily run will depend on how much time you have, how you feel and what you did for the past few days in terms of training time and quality of the workout.

      For example, if you are going to have an easy day or even a day off it is better to take it the day before or the day after a long or hard run. If you want to run 24 miles in a specific week and you are running 6 days that week, then you will average 4 miles a day. You could run 2 or 3 miles on a day that you have little time and then run 5 or 6 miles on a day you feel better and have more time.

      Be creative in your approach and try to come up with a training plan, week by week. But do not be so rigid that you get upset or disappointed if you cannot follow it perfectly. Listen to your body even when you are trying to `push it' at times just to get out the door.

      When you do not feel like going out but you have the time to train it is a good idea to start by putting on your running clothes and running shoes and just getting outside. This will amazingly change your physical consciousness and you will start to feel more inspired to at least walk for some time if you cannot run right away.

      Try to get a few good miles or minutes in until you feel your energy increasing and you can train properly as you try to reach your daily goals. Do not think too much of what you have to do a few days from now but focus only on the present and feel that today is the most important moment in your training. Do not miss a day unless it is planned as a rest day or you are too ill or you run out of time, which usually means we did not give ourselves enough time in the beginning of the day.

      Whatever the excuse for missing a day, just look ahead and start again to make a determined effort to once again get out the door and forget about past `failures'. If you feel that will-power is the problem, then just remember this quote by the great Czech runner and former Olympic Gold Medalist Emil Zatopek:

      "If I can stick to the training for many long years then will-power is no longer a problem. It's raining, that doesn't matter. I'm tired, that's beside the point. It's simply that I just have to."

      Sri Chinmoy liked this quote so much that he set a melody to it and made it into a very catchy tune. It helps to sing it especially when having a difficult time trying to get a training run in.
      If you feel that lack of energy was or is the problem, then just remember this quote by Sri Chinmoy:

      "We have to know that physical energy has only one source, and that source is spiritual energy."
      From `The Inner Running And The Outer Running.', by Sri Chinmoy

      So start again today and take each day as another important steps in the slow and steady goal to the finish line. I will try to post weekly more advice and reply to anyone who may need more specific ideas about how to train or training problems on the way to August 25.

      Good Luck and Godspeed,
      Arpan