Tennis

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2009
      Recently I have started playing tennis again. Once with Sashko, and twice with Sarveswara.

      Now this has inspired me to go against the wall and hit tennis balls.

      Mentally, if you think about it, it is the most foolish thing to do. Hit balls against a wall. How can THAT give me joy?

      But, you know what? It does! Even going there, bouncing the ball as I walk to where the wall is, near the 3100 mile race, actually on one of the corners of the block that the runners circle.

      I greet people on the way, and one lady even said to me :"Have fun!"

      It is very nice. You start hitting the ball better, getting into a rhythm. If your arm gets tired, you take a short break, and continue.

      And the weather is just gorgeous. Bright sun, a nice breeze, not too hot, and the 3100 Self-Transcendence Race runners passing by.

      I remember we were with Sri Chinmoy in Indonesia, and he was talking about various things. Among them, he stressed the fact that, those things that give us joy, we MUST do.

      And he is so right! It ripples into other aspects of your life....

      "O tennis ball-surrender,
      Can you not be a constant friend
      Of my heart and life?"
      -Sri Chinmoy

      Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 153 by Sri Chinmoy.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0802/15/

      My Beloved Supreme, here on earth, whoever scores the most is the winner. There in Heaven, who is the winner? Do tell me.

      "My child, in Heaven the winner is he who becomes cheerfully and inseparably one with the surrender-life and surrender-breath of the tennis ball. A human seeker can learn the message of surrender in its purest form from a tiny little tennis ball-not from the player, not even from the racquet, but from a mere ball. When you think of yourself as a mere ball, you will be able to give the greatest satisfaction to Me, to your Beloved Supreme, your Eternity's Champion Tennis Player." (12:25 p.m.)
      -Sri Chinmoy

      Excerpt from O My Pilot Beloved by Sri Chinmoy.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0405/2/4/

      "God is playing with us
      Like a tennis ball,
      Consciously throwing us
      Here and there,
      To be His perfect instrument."
      -Sri Chinmoy

      Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 15 by Sri Chinmoy.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1322/113/

      Question: What are the different qualities of tennis and running?

      "Running reminds us of our inner journey, which is ahead of us. The goal is ahead, and we are running towards the goal. It is a great feeling, which eventually grows into a great achievement. Playing tennis reminds us of being an instrument. The tennis ball is a self-giving instrument, always trying to please us in our own way. Whichever way we want to strike it, the tennis ball surrenders. It is always ready to listen to us, according to our capacity. So tennis reminds us of a divine goal, which is to become a perfect instrument of God and to please God in His own Way, and running reminds us of our continuous journey along Eternity's Road toward the destined goal. Tennis and running are like two paths going to the same goal; they both ultimately reach the goal, but they reach it from different directions."
      -Sri Chinmoy

      Excerpt from I Play Tennis Every Day by Sri Chinmoy.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0986/3/2/

      Question: I consider myself a tennis player, not a runner. On the one hand I get more joy from playing tennis, but on the other hand I get more satisfaction if I run a marathon. Why is this?

      "You can play tennis for hours and hours. It is easy for you to do well and you enjoy it. But people get more satisfaction from doing the thing that they find most difficult. On the one hand, we like to do things that are easy. On the other hand, we also want the joy that comes from doing whatever is most difficult.

      The grass is always greener on the other side. To accomplish something that is more difficult for us to do gives us much more joy. If we have a tennis ball to play with, we will start looking for a basketball, just because we do not have one. But if we had a basketball, we would start looking for a tennis ball. Again, some people will say that they need both a tennis ball and a basketball.

      There is also another aspect to this. Even though we may want to run only 100 metres, we want to get the glory that comes from running a marathon. When somebody runs a marathon, he is appreciated and admired. So we feel that a marathon is more important than a 100-metre run. The most difficult thing impresses us most. This is human nature."
      -Sri Chinmoy

      Excerpt from I Play Tennis Every Day by Sri Chinmoy.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0986/3/3/

      I Go To God Twice A Day

      "I go to God twice a day.

      In the morning
      I go to my Beloved Supreme
      With the surrender
      of a tennis ball.

      He tells me I am on my way
      to perfection.

      In the evening
      I go to my Beloved Supreme
      With a basket of
      gratitude-flowers.

      He tells me I am all perfection."
      -Sri Chinmoy

      Excerpt from I Play Tennis Every Day by Sri Chinmoy.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0986/5/2/

      Kamalakanta