Name and Fame

  • jaitra.gillespie
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 15, 2009
      To mark the occasion of my gaining a spiritual name I thought I would share a recently written story — a few notes and observations made while flying through Australia to Bali and the Christmas Trip recently.

      But you wanted to know my new name, and its meaning as well? Read through the story, the name is, several hundred words on, the reward at the end...

      ---

      On Journeys Through the Australian States

      Travelling. Again. In Melbourne Airport, for four and half hours, but not my final destination, or even second to final in this marathon, budget airline leapfrog across the Pacific, Tasman and Indian Oceans. I am in an airport café sipping the oh so treasured caffeinated chocolate beverage I swore yet again to give up. And shall swear again, once the well of heart-quickened words dries, trails to a final period, final drop of coffee swallowed at the end of this page…

      I am flying to Bali today, a Christmas holiday come a month late but not a moment too soon. A break from work and yet more work, a break of some considerable force to my cheerfully forgotten, paid just on time bottom line. Work to live or live to work? In truth I would prefer neither, but forced to choose I am working to be alive, and right now is the time for living.

      It is not such a bad place to be stranded, this sun-burned, lucky land. I have always liked Australia — more so than anywhere else on Earth save the United Kingdom, it is just like home — albeit a sun-drenched, sun-worshiping version of such. Hotter of temperature and temperament than New Zealand, it is our louder, brasher "across the ditch" own.

      I admire the self-confidence and assertiveness here, rare in my home of birds that do not fly and single lone predator — the Katipo spider, a pint-sized beast of passive-aggressive hostility at best, likely to bite only when pushed into corner or shoe. New Zealanders, more like the sheep who outnumber us twenty to one than killer spiders, tend to follow the herd, herd instinctively to the back of a farmer's pen. Like the damp, green pastures from mountains to sea, we are softer round surface and edge than Australians; we shrink from a person of loud, sure hand.

      Australia has a vastness not just of its land, although perhaps learned of it; of wide open spaces and limitless, continental horizons — a vastness of heart and mind less sighted in smaller, skinnier isles. "Mateship," the word for universal friendship between blokes really exists in Australia. The airport security officer who gave directions not with authority but airless amity; the student who made my coffee neither embarrassed to be serving me, or by way of compensation, haughty — such is far from common in less secure, narrow lands.

      It took a while, several hours in fact, and all of the previous words, before untold Australian flags, t-shirts and hats of yellow and green led me to realise that today is January 26, Australia Day, the one day of three hundred and sixty-five that Australians take even more pride in being themselves than their unabashed norm.

      Serendipity has a way of following one around, especially when writing…

      Salutation To The Soul Of Australia
      My aspiring heart is saluting you.
      My illumining soul is loving you.
      In you I see the perfect combination of the
      body's service and the vital's dynamism.
      Your soul is at once the embodiment
      of the ancient sun and revelation
      of tomorrow's dawn.
      Your body's consciousness is the expansion
      of vastness.
      Your heart's delight is the perfection
      of illumination.
      Slowly and steadily your body walks.
      Pointedly and unerringly your mind runs.
      Devotedly and unconditionally your heart
      dives.
      Eternally and supremely your soul flies.
      Your life's greatness-dream is humanity's
      transcendental pride.
      Your life's goodness-reality is humanity's
      universal treasure.
      —Sri Chinmoy, My Heart's Salutation To Australia, Part 1.
      [http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0268/1/1%5d

      Jaitra ("Leading to victory")
      Auckland, NZ
      http://sensitivitytothings.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 17, 2009
        Hi Jaitra,
        Thanks for sharing this story and especially about your new name. Maybe most people will guess who you formerly were but if they do not regularly read your blog or are familiar with your last name they might not know you were formerly known as John-Paul. :-)

        I am very happy for you! I wonder if it is no coincidence that the first letter of your name is the same as the first letter in the word of your favorite country --- Japan! And almost the same number of letters too...

        You and I share a verb in our respective meanings. You are "leading to" victory and mine has "that leads to" in it.

        I for one am so inspired to see how people's names fit them so perfectly and to hear the beautiful stories of dreams, experiences, etc. that confirm their *source*, the same as before, ever more...

        Sharani
      • suchana27
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2009
          Very impressed by the significant journey to Bali and your spiritual name, Jaitra!

          Best regards,
          Suchana
        • jaitra.gillespie
          Message 4 of 4 , May 7, 2009
            Thank you Suchana, and also Sharani for an earlier post of congratulations about my new name.

            Suchana, you remind me that there are many stories still to tell about this year's very significant Christmas Trip and spiritual journey to Bali. I know many have written already of how special the Christmas Trip was, but let me be one further voice to say that even without Sri Chinmoy's outer presence, time spent on our annual "Trip" was as spiritually beneficial and productive as it ever has been. In fact, I for one found it inwardly to be simultaneously the most intense yet most rewarding Christmas "vacation" I have ever been on, and I know many others felt and experienced the same.

            Which I guess goes to show that the inner life continues goes from strength to strength no matter what may occur outwardly.

            Jaitra
            http://sensitivitytothings.com