3,100 Mile Race Reminiscences

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2004
      Matt's reminiscences of the 3,100 mile race experience are incredibly
      effective in portraying the feeling and the atmosphere of that
      magical time of year in Jamaica when this amazing event transforms
      the area around Thomas Edison Technical School into a powerful arena
      of light and energy. I have had the good fortune of helping in most
      of these races as a masseur for the guys and as a personal handler
      one summer for one of the runners. That particular year I was
      visiting the race four times a day, trying to fit part time work in
      between my race responsibilities. It was then that I experienced the
      race in a very deep and personal way and was inspired to write a poem
      which I would like to share here. I have shared it with many people
      since that race two years ago.

      Matt's stories have brought us back to that incredible venue of
      spiritual aspiration and athletic endurance, so I feel it an
      appropriate time to share that poem once again. This year I hope to
      be one of the runners instead of a helper or spectator. So for me,
      this poem is even more significant as I must surcharge my heart and
      mind once again with the inspiration and aspiration needed to partake
      of such a lofty and transcendent mission. This poem will hopefully be
      just the beginning of my 'long and arduous journey to the unknown'.

      Journey To The Unknown

      A 3,100 mile orbit of concrete,
      Automobiles and local humanity,
      Lightly spiced with a hint of nature