Guru's Fastest Marathon-30 Years

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2009
      Today, March 25, 2009 is the 30th Anniversary of Sri Chinmoy's fastest
      marathon: the Heartwatcher's Marathon in Toledo,Ohio.Guru certainly was
      a 'heartwatcher' in a spiritual way and everything he did, even running
      marathons, was to awaken and inspire our own hearts in all we say and
      do.

      He was a man of action who certainly knew the meaning of
      self-transcendence, a term he loved to use to describe our own spiritual
      progress in our life's journey.Sri Chinmoy did not only talk about
      self-transcendence nor did he just preach the philosophy. He 'walked the
      walk' as they say, or 'ran the run', to be more precise in this case.

      Only three short weeks after running his very first marathon race at the
      age of 47, with barely enough time to recover fully, he then ran another
      marathon 36 minutes faster! This is one very powerful example from the
      many achievements in his life that offered true meaning to the
      philosophy of self-transcendence.

      As a long-time runner and marathoner and sometime poet, I was inspired
      to express my delight at this incredible achievement with a short poem
      about Guru's first two marathons. I felt that the fewer words I could
      use the better, as the real poetry came from his efforts, actions and
      achievements in the marathoning world, just as they also did in all of
      his fields of endeavor.

      So here is the poem which some of you may already be familiar with:

      Our Marathon Master

      Chico:4:31:34
      You bravely opened
      The marathon-door.

      Toledo: 3:55:07

      You powerfully smashed

      Obstruction-door

      And sent us all to heaven.

      Gratefully,

      Arpan

      [Moderators note - sorry for delay there was a glitch with Yahoo yesterday]