Re: Celebrating the Marathon- 30 Years

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 12, 2009
      That was very enlightening and encouraging to hear that Guru personally wanted people to run the marathon in Europe for his Marathon Anniversary. Thank you for sharing that with us.

      Concerning the expedition of incarnations through marathoning, if Guru said it then it is a reality even though we may not understand it with our limited, unillumined minds right now. I heard various versions of that concept and I have felt especially during multiday races that one can definitely make spiritual progress at an accelerated rate if we run them consciously trying to aspire for Truth and Light.

      But I have seen some runners who run primarily with their ego-minds and usually entertain a miserable and unhappy consciousness during a very long race. One has to be focused on the right things, the spiritual things, in order to expedite their spiritual journey, I feel.

      What do we know about reincarnation anyway? Inwardly it all seems to make sense and is easy to believe especially when Guru says it. But the past and future of our souls' journey abides in the present moment which is really the only thing we have a fair amount of control over. Our next life is directly connected to the present moment.

      It may have been a long-winded way to extrapolate on your concept of running marathons, but it touched upon a very important aspect of long distance running which is dear to me also. There are many spiritual reasons why Guru encouraged those of us healthy enough to run long distance to keep it up and transcend ourselves. This quote conveys that message quite appropriately:

      "The spiritual life is a marathon,
      An inner marathon which never ends.
      The Supreme is begging
      All His seeker-children
      To be excellent runners-
      To run speedily, like deer-
      In this eternal inner journey."
      Sri Chinmoy

      Gratefully,
      Arpan
    • phoolendu_rus
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 13, 2009
        This is indeed a very inspiring to hear how the celebration is going all around the globe.
        We in Volgograd (Russia) also organized the marathon. It took place on March 7th and besides our Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team members this year a number of enthusiastic runners from outside SCMT joined us. There were 24 runners participating altogether in marathon and half-marathon races.

        I wish to thank all the contributors who during these years were writing the messages on running here, especially Arpan. Some years ago after I read his messages, we were inspired to start organizing this spring marathon around March 3rd in our city.

        Gratefully,
        Phoolendu