The Running Master-30 Years

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 26, 2009
      "People who don't run marathons feel sad that they don't run them, and
      people who run marathons feel sad that they do run them. So many
      problems human beings have! Why do they have to create additional
      problems by entering into the world of marathoning? By running a
      marathon has anybody realised God? I don't think any spiritual Master
      other than me has ever run a marathon. Perhaps they were wise people.
      Perhaps it is because I am not wise that I run marathons".

      -31 January 1983

      Excerpt from Run And Become, Become And Run, Part 13
      <http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0598> by Sri Chinmoy.

      You do not have to be a marathon runner or a runner at all to appreciate
      and celebrate the fact that Sri Chinmoy ran marathons. He trained very
      seriously and ran them, 22 in all, with true dedication and focus. For a
      Spiritual Master of his caliber this was totally unprecedented.

      The 30th Anniversary of his first marathon race, March 3, is soon upon
      us. This weekend, on February 28, we will celebrate this auspicious
      occasion in New York. There will be a marathon in the morning which will
      also include teams of runners who will share the miles, for those who
      cannot run the full marathon.

      In the evening we will be singing some of Guru's running songs,
      especially the marathon songs. We will also have some plays based on
      `Run and Become' stories and then watch some video footage of
      Guru running marathons. We also have special T-shirts printed up for the
      occasion and will be selling them for April Celebrations if others are
      interested. On the front there is a photo of Sri Chinmoy after running
      his first marathon with a powerful poem on the back of the shirt:

      "I simply do

      What many dream of.

      I simply do

      What others talk about.

      I simply become

      What others dare not even to imagine."

      Poem #830. from Transcendence-Perfection
      <http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0241> by Sri Chinmoy.

      I am sure other Centres around the world will be celebrating in their
      own way also. I am hopeful that some people will be inspired to do some
      kind of run as part of this celebration as well.

      Sri Chinmoy trained for and ran marathons for us, to uplift and inspire
      us to transcend ourselves in some way. For runners it was very exciting
      to challenge ourselves to run longer and longer distances. For those who
      do not or cannot run it is also an inspiration to challenge oneself to
      go beyond one's previous achievements in whatever field of endeavor
      that inspires us.

      I do hope some people can share here on this site whatever inspirational
      events or experiences they will have had this weekend or around the time
      of March 3, in celebration of this most meaningful and important
      Anniversary. I would like to share two poems I wrote many years ago
      which I have shared on this site before in relation to Guru's first
      marathon in Chico, California and then only three weeks later, his much
      faster marathon in Toledo, Ohio.

      Our Marathon Master

      Chico: 4:31:34,

      You bravely opened

      The marathon-door.

      Toledo: 3:55:07,

      You powerfully smashed

      Obstruction-door

      And sent us all to Heaven.

      Marathoningly,

      Arpan

    • suchana27
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
        Thank you, Arpan, for your heartfelt news and recalls on this special
        Guru´s Anniversary.
        It is so true, I don´t know any other spiritual Master who has done
        so many marathons and ultramarathons so far!

        In his talks to his students, Guru used to offer significant insights
        about the inner and outer running. Once he said something that
        touched my ears and my heart -this is totally unofficial-:¨when you
        run, if you can make yourself feel that inside your heart Somebody is
        running or your heart is running or you are running with your heart,
        then tiredness disappears, the power of distance disappears. Only the
        power of oneness, oneness, oneness with God´s Will appears.¨

        Isn´t it an incredible positive philosophy?! What a fantastic
        illumining future is ahead of all of us!

        In oneness-Marathon,
        Suchana
        who hopes finishing the 42km along the week!
      • arpan_deangelo
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
          It is very encouraging to know that people who do not usually run
          marathons or super long distances are inspired by Guru's long distance
          running and are willing to transcend themselves as much as possible.

          We just had the marathon here in NY to celebrate the 30th Anniversary
          of Guru's first Marathon and many runners came out to run sections of
          the race as part of relay teams. It was so uplifting, even to those of
          us who were running the whole thing. The other runners brought so much
          energy, enthusiasm and light to the occasion and really brought out
          the life it truly deserves.

          A strong sense of gratitude pervaded the one mile loop for many hours
          as we truly were feeling and understanding the significance of our
          true Spiritual Master taking the marathon challenge for himself when
          he was capable to do so 30 years ago.

          For those of us who are still healthy enough and strong enough to run
          or walk for miles it is imperative that we continue to do so, even as
          we age gracefully in years. It is for our own health and moreso for
          our spiritual consciousness that we stay as physically active as we
          possibly can.

          I will soon be sending a post about our evening function here after
          the race which was held on Saturday morning.

          Happy running, jogging, walking, moving,
          Arpan
        • jadrankagrbic
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2009
            Hi Evryone,

            On Sunday, March 1 st, five people from Belgrade Center ran Marathon
            and it was all blessing and blessing. Namitabha finished in 3:11,
            Deyan Kljaic 3:55, and they left to finish their regular job in the
            Bakery and later in the evening came back for meditation. My only
            comment is that they are divine heroes who serve Supreme
            uncoditionally.

            Three of us continued among amazing crowd of people, as it was the
            first suny day after long and cold winter weather, and we have had
            trouble running. We changed the rout to escape few thousand people
            who came to river bank to walk, byke and run, and probably each of
            us ran more than marathon, God only knows how much we really did.

            It was special feeling of cource, and I myself would have given up
            if it was not Guru's Anniversary. It took me 8 hours, you see it
            well, eight long hours, but they didn't seem so long and not so
            haevy at all. I felt dehidrated at the middle and exausted because
            of the crowd, but after a while I recovered and ran to the end. It
            was not pushy at all, it was just slow in the second part of the
            marathon.

            We all felt so happy and fullfilled; boys waited for me for two
            hours, serving my soul and I am so grateful that they did stay. This
            kind of oneness stays in our hearts for good, inspiring us never to
            give up.
            Young disciple Dario, who works in our restaurant, finished his
            first marathon and didn't mind staying and helping Goran and me to
            finish.
            All credit to our Master, whose loving grace was all the time upon
            us, giving us opportunity to transcend ourselves in everyway.

            I hope we will hear more from San Francisco Center who ran in Chico,
            and others who did it in New York and world wide.

            My deep Gratitude to all for insppiration,

            Jadranka
          • arpan_deangelo
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 4, 2009
              Thank you Jadranka for such a nice report on your Marathon weekend. Greetings also to Namitabha who used to race with me when he was here in NY. I hope he can make it back here someday soon.
              I am sure many others have had similar experiences as we celebrate such an auspicious occasion as our Guru's first marathon.
              Gratefully,
              Arpan
            • vasanti_hd
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 6, 2009
                Hi Jadranka,

                your stories are very inspiring. They carry so much the spirit of the "early days" which is very much alive in some parts of the world - full of eagerness, enthusiasm and dedication. I think, the slower runners are always the greater heroes! Plus they get more blessings! :)

                It always greatly inspires me to think of what Guru has accomplished just even on the physical plane and how many new self-transcendence projects he embarked on, from his late 40ies and even more seriously from his 50ies on. It is nice to be reminded of those significant anniversaries, and to be able to celebrate or commemorate them in one way or another.

                In oneness
                Vasanti
              • sri_chinmoy_inspiration
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 16, 2009
                  I am new to Sri Chinmoy's teachings---as a lifelong runner I came across and later purchased his book--The Inner Running and the Outer Running---I was so impressed into his insights and revelations on running that I wanted to read and learn more.Thankfully I found this forum. Sri Chinmoy so eloquently reveals that challenging ourselves physically can do much for us mentally and spiritually. I greatly appreciate the wealth of material that is provided here.

                  David

                  [Dear ....,
                  For your online safety, please make sure to follow the instructions below.

                  1) Hide Your Email Address

                  Please set your member preferences
                  so that your email address will not be visible.

                  - First click on this link:
                  If you are asked to sign in, do so now.

                  - Check the box where it says:
                  "Hide my email and IP address from the group moderators"

                  - Under "Message Delivery", select:
                  "Web Only. Read messages only on the web"

                  - Make sure you save the changes (click on "Save Changes").

                  Now when you post, your email address will not be visible anymore to anybody.

                  2) Turn Off Invitations
                  - First click on this link:
                  If you are asked to sign in, do so now.

                  Once you have signed in, a page listing your known email
                  addresses will appear.

                  - To the far right of each email address is the word "Edit" in
                  blue. Click on it.

                  Under "Group Invitations" you will see checkboxes which say:
                  Allow group moderators to directly add me to their groups.
                  Allow group moderators to invite me to their groups.

                  - By default, both boxes are checked. Uncheck both boxes.
                  - Click the Save Changes button.
                  - Repeat steps 2-3 for every email account listed.

                  Thank you
                  Sri Chinmoy Inspiration Group moderators]