Re: OT Signers

  • pavitrata27
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2009
      Hi Mahiruha

      The challenge was based on my faith in your abilities! You are quite
      capable of it, I believe.

      Most things bees do are done in good taste and with artistry, so
      that quilt would be amazing. Woven in hexagonal patterns, I assume.
      As for the origami chipmunk, Google 'origami chipmunk' and you will
      see someone has made one!!

      PBS TV in America a couple of years ago used to do a fantastic
      program called 'Signing Time' for children to learn signing in a fun
      way. I don't know if its still on PBS but maybe the DVDs are
      available.

      Go to YouTube, type in 'Signing Time the alphabet' and you will find
      the signing alphabet there in a very manageable way!

      While you are on YouTube type in 'Signing Time silly pizza song' to
      see how the whole thing is put together.

      And there's your segue to my challenge!!!

      pip pip
      Pavitrata
    • dmchaudhurani
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2009
        Nice one. I have a deep affection for my New-Zealand family. Working
        with them in the Housing Team over many happy years the NZ accent
        caused a lot of hilarity. We stopped in the van outside the stores one
        day because someone needed a pin. - yes you probably guessed. It
        turned out that they did not want a pin. They needed a pen.

        On another occasion we had finished cleaning and were singing and
        'raising the consciousness of the house' while waiting for the van to
        come. There were several Czech girls in the team and they sang very
        sweetly. Someone commented on the singing and one NZ girl expressed
        her view as to who sang best. The girl was mortified. 'Why do you
        think I'm the beast?' she asked.

        I wonder if anyone else can remember more of these New Zealand-isms?

        On the deaf-signing question, a close friend is a qualified
        signing-interpreter and works in a deaf school. She learned the
        British Standard signing method but found that there are regional,
        cultural and even family-versions. There can be ten or fifteen ways of
        signing one thing. She's worked there for several years now and is
        familiar with most of the variations but it was quite difficult at
        first. Like any language it takes time and effort and then a lot more
        practise to become expert but I guess it would be good for everyone to
        learn some of the basic signs while at school just to be able to be
        polite and show oneness our with deaf brothers and sisters around the
        world.
      • mahiruha_27
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2009
          Very funny, Nicholas!

          When I traveled to Germany, seven years ago, I made a remarkable
          discovery: that, oddly enough, Germans who live in Germany for some
          inexplicable reason speak German, not English. I went there not
          knowing how to say anything except "ich essen kein fleisch" (I'm sorry
          if I'm misspelling anything here.) That means that I don't eat any
          meat. When my waiter asked me if I wanted "gemuese" I didn't know
          that gemuese meant vegetables!

          During my trip, I went to a guitar/zylophone concert in Berlin. It
          was fun. The guitarist was very skilled and talented, but he kept
          getting drowned out by the maniacal zylophonist. Anyway, during the
          intermission, I had a very nice conversation with an Ethiopian
          gentleman who had immigrated to Germany many years previously. I
          asked him at one point when was the last time he had had a
          conversation with somebody in English.

          "Oh," he said, after a pause,"about twenty years ago."

          I mean, my English-speaking pride evaporated!

          Anyway, come visit me in Chicago so that you can enjoy some sloppy
          totally-to-die-for deep-dish pizza!

          Mahiruha
        • purnakama2000
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
            Hi Durga Mata,

            I had to chime in on the New Zealand isms as I had a cute experience
            in Annam Brahma.

            I was on the clean up crew in Annam Brahma with some lovely New
            Zealand girls, and I asked one of the girls what still needed to be
            done.
            She replied, "oh you can clean the benches."
            So I got some sponges and hot water and soap in a bucket, and I went
            into the dining room and immediately started scrubbing what I
            understood to be benches; the wooden seats that are up against the
            walls. In Canada we would call a wooden seat like that a bench.

            My friend saw me and immediately started laughing. She asked me what
            I was doing and I said I was cleaning the benches. Then she laughed
            even louder and took me into the kitchen to show me the benches.
            They are what we would call counters or countertops in Canada.

            We all had a good laugh at our language miscommunications and agreed
            that at least tomorrow the workers would have very clean seats to
            sit on:)

            Purnakama

            PS Speaking of sign language, have you ever been in a house in
            housing where almost nobody speaks the same language? It's a lot of
            fun once you get past the initial frustration:)