Re: OT Signers

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 30, 2009
      Pavitrata,

      Thank you for throwing down the gauntlet!

      It's nice when people set up realistic challenges for you, like

      "Learn to fly by flapping your hands and jumping in place"

      "Control the weather with a tuning fork."

      "Have an intelligent conversation during the Superbowl"

      Truthfully, I'm not watching the Superbowl this year (gasps of
      horror). Actually, I never have, I never plan to and the whole thing
      seems pretty pointless to me. I mean, who cares about who the catcher
      is, or how many widgets it takes to add up to a whozit or under what
      conditions the winning team has to make a human pyramid before the
      losing team can fold the necessary number of origami chipmunks? I
      mean, gosh. I'd rather watch a quilting bee.

      Seriously, if I ever meet a bee that can weave quilts with good taste
      and artistry, then I'll know it's time to form my own Yahoo group!

      Mahiruha
    • pavitrata27
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 31, 2009
        Hi Mahiruha

        The challenge was based on my faith in your abilities! You are quite
        capable of it, I believe.

        Most things bees do are done in good taste and with artistry, so
        that quilt would be amazing. Woven in hexagonal patterns, I assume.
        As for the origami chipmunk, Google 'origami chipmunk' and you will
        see someone has made one!!

        PBS TV in America a couple of years ago used to do a fantastic
        program called 'Signing Time' for children to learn signing in a fun
        way. I don't know if its still on PBS but maybe the DVDs are
        available.

        Go to YouTube, type in 'Signing Time the alphabet' and you will find
        the signing alphabet there in a very manageable way!

        While you are on YouTube type in 'Signing Time silly pizza song' to
        see how the whole thing is put together.

        And there's your segue to my challenge!!!

        pip pip
        Pavitrata
      • dmchaudhurani
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2009
          Nice one. I have a deep affection for my New-Zealand family. Working
          with them in the Housing Team over many happy years the NZ accent
          caused a lot of hilarity. We stopped in the van outside the stores one
          day because someone needed a pin. - yes you probably guessed. It
          turned out that they did not want a pin. They needed a pen.

          On another occasion we had finished cleaning and were singing and
          'raising the consciousness of the house' while waiting for the van to
          come. There were several Czech girls in the team and they sang very
          sweetly. Someone commented on the singing and one NZ girl expressed
          her view as to who sang best. The girl was mortified. 'Why do you
          think I'm the beast?' she asked.

          I wonder if anyone else can remember more of these New Zealand-isms?

          On the deaf-signing question, a close friend is a qualified
          signing-interpreter and works in a deaf school. She learned the
          British Standard signing method but found that there are regional,
          cultural and even family-versions. There can be ten or fifteen ways of
          signing one thing. She's worked there for several years now and is
          familiar with most of the variations but it was quite difficult at
          first. Like any language it takes time and effort and then a lot more
          practise to become expert but I guess it would be good for everyone to
          learn some of the basic signs while at school just to be able to be
          polite and show oneness our with deaf brothers and sisters around the
          world.
        • mahiruha_27
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2009
            Very funny, Nicholas!

            When I traveled to Germany, seven years ago, I made a remarkable
            discovery: that, oddly enough, Germans who live in Germany for some
            inexplicable reason speak German, not English. I went there not
            knowing how to say anything except "ich essen kein fleisch" (I'm sorry
            if I'm misspelling anything here.) That means that I don't eat any
            meat. When my waiter asked me if I wanted "gemuese" I didn't know
            that gemuese meant vegetables!

            During my trip, I went to a guitar/zylophone concert in Berlin. It
            was fun. The guitarist was very skilled and talented, but he kept
            getting drowned out by the maniacal zylophonist. Anyway, during the
            intermission, I had a very nice conversation with an Ethiopian
            gentleman who had immigrated to Germany many years previously. I
            asked him at one point when was the last time he had had a
            conversation with somebody in English.

            "Oh," he said, after a pause,"about twenty years ago."

            I mean, my English-speaking pride evaporated!

            Anyway, come visit me in Chicago so that you can enjoy some sloppy
            totally-to-die-for deep-dish pizza!

            Mahiruha
          • purnakama2000
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
              Hi Durga Mata,

              I had to chime in on the New Zealand isms as I had a cute experience
              in Annam Brahma.

              I was on the clean up crew in Annam Brahma with some lovely New
              Zealand girls, and I asked one of the girls what still needed to be
              done.
              She replied, "oh you can clean the benches."
              So I got some sponges and hot water and soap in a bucket, and I went
              into the dining room and immediately started scrubbing what I
              understood to be benches; the wooden seats that are up against the
              walls. In Canada we would call a wooden seat like that a bench.

              My friend saw me and immediately started laughing. She asked me what
              I was doing and I said I was cleaning the benches. Then she laughed
              even louder and took me into the kitchen to show me the benches.
              They are what we would call counters or countertops in Canada.

              We all had a good laugh at our language miscommunications and agreed
              that at least tomorrow the workers would have very clean seats to
              sit on:)

              Purnakama

              PS Speaking of sign language, have you ever been in a house in
              housing where almost nobody speaks the same language? It's a lot of
              fun once you get past the initial frustration:)