OT - The Magi Day

  • suchana27
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2009
      In a few hours the three wise men will be visiting thousands of houses and leaving different toys on every child's shoes. As usual tonight children will put some water and herbs on the balconies or in the gardens so that camels can refresh themselves from their long journey.

      As I go around the streets I realize there are many more people at
      the toy shops today than there were at Christmas. In spite of new
      technologies and fashions, many adults keep on standing in long lines
      for hours just with the intention of buying a simple toy for their
      children. Also most of the time adults like sharing these toys with
      the youngest!

      These repeated situations all over the city have inspired me to look
      at how many times the word 'toy' appears in Guru´s writings. And I
      have found 63 items!

      The following one I especially like because of its unfathomable
      oneness and also because the story happened on a Christmas Trip in
      Peru twenty three years ago:

      "In one store they had toy llamas with such beautiful eyes. The two small ones had such compassion. I looked at them and meditated and meditated. Then I felt sorry for the llamas, so I bought six."

      -13 January 1987

      by Sri Chinmoy
      in http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0983/1/12

      Gratefully,
      Suchana
    • purnakama2000
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2009
        Oh Suchana I love the story about the stuffed llamas!

        I often find myself in toy stores or card shops where they sell
        stuffed animals, and I try to inconspicuously rearrange them. Often
        they are sort of piled in a heap and I feel sorry for them so I try
        and arrange them nicely so that they are happy and people will see
        their cute faces and buy them.

        I always thought I was a little bit strange for doing this, as I'm
        sure some of shop owners thought so as well, but now that I know our
        Guru had compassion for stuffed animals, I will continue my
        practice, despite the giggles and strange looks that I get from
        people. I guess it doesn't help that I talk to them as I'm doing the
        rearranging:)

        Purnakama
      • suchana27
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 9, 2009
          This story is so cute indeed, Purnakama! :)

          Now I wonder how far could I go by imitating you in the toy stores!

          Ah, yes! I could play with some stuffed animals only at the
          hypermarkets. What a consolation!

          Suchana
          (Trying to rearrange my own stuff ... of papers :))