Christmas Party

  • tejvan13
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2008
      At the weekend, the London centre organised an informal Christmas
      party after centre meditation. There were many sketches, plays, games
      and Christmas carols. Premamrita was one of the highlights with his
      Tommy Cooper impersonations. Tommy Cooper was a great magician /
      comedian whose style was wonderfully self-depreciating. Just one joke
      I remembered.

      - My brother was a bad lad. He was in the court for serious charges.
      The judge told him his sentence was 110 years. But, my brother was
      smiling and I said - why are you smiling?

      My brother replied - "well I thought I was going to get life!"

      We had a marvellous Christmas meal, Kaivalya as Santa Claus, and
      Tirthika and Suruchi doing their mock Strictly Come Dancing routine.
      Shankara and Sumangali did an excellent sketch - "Senator Brea's Dead"
      (originally performed by Rowan Atkinson 1980 Live in Belfast

      A great way to spend a dark winter afternoon and get into the festive
      spirit of Christmas.

      Wishing you all a good Christmas holiday!

      Tejvan
    • arpan_deangelo
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 25, 2008
        Thank you Tejvan for sharing that bit of Holiday Joy with everyone. It
        would be nice to hear more Christmas and Holiday stories from other
        Centres.

        I am not in New York now but with my physical family in Connecticut,
        so I do not know what happened for Christmas in the Queens. No really
        inspiring stories to relate here in Connecticut except for the fact
        that my mom had her 84th birthday on the 23rd and is still functioning
        well. She works on a school bus every day and still drives to work and
        shopping on her own, etc.

        Even though she is not a disciple nor particularly too religious, she
        does have a simple and inherent faith in God, in Christian saints and
        in Christ in her own personal way. I think this has kept her here on
        earth relatively healthy and somewhat happy.

        I hope everyone has a wonderful Holiday in their own way and feels the
        Grace that seems so powerful at this time of year, beyond all the
        outer rituals and gift-giving, parties, etc.
        Happy New Year and hope to see most of you in April....

        Gratefully and Merrily,
        Arpan

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, tejvan13
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > At the weekend, the London centre organised an informal Christmas
        > party after centre meditation. There were many sketches, plays, games
        > and Christmas carols. Premamrita was one of the highlights with his
        > Tommy Cooper impersonations. Tommy Cooper was a great magician /
        > comedian whose style was wonderfully self-depreciating. Just one joke
        > I remembered.
        >
        > - My brother was a bad lad. He was in the court for serious charges.
        > The judge told him his sentence was 110 years. But, my brother was
        > smiling and I said - why are you smiling?
        >
        > My brother replied - "well I thought I was going to get life!"
        >
        > We had a marvellous Christmas meal, Kaivalya as Santa Claus, and
        > Tirthika and Suruchi doing their mock Strictly Come Dancing routine.
        > Shankara and Sumangali did an excellent sketch - "Senator Brea's Dead"
        > (originally performed by Rowan Atkinson 1980 Live in Belfast
        >
        > A great way to spend a dark winter afternoon and get into the festive
        > spirit of Christmas.
        >
        > Wishing you all a good Christmas holiday!
        >

        > Tejvan

      • abhinabha
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 30, 2008
          summary of the Christmas function in our centre in Amsterdam.

          We combined two holidays into one. In Holland on the 5th of December
          we usually celebrate "Sinterklaas", a holiday named after a Christian
          saint from Turkey, St. Nicholas of Myra who himself became the model
          for the American Santa Claus, but that's a different story (which can
          be read by clicking http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=35)

          On "Sinterklaas" it is our custom to give each other a present,
          wrapped in an original way and accompanied by a rhyming poem.
          Tradition has it that any possible flaws of character may be freely,
          though gently and humorously addressed in the poem. After all, it is
          understood that Sinterklaas is the author of the poems. Like a mild
          judge he has observed our behavior during the year to make sure we
          have all been good boys and girls. Should one fail his scrutiny, a
          one-way ticket to Madrid (our saint's city of residence) in one of his
          many jute sacks will most certainly follow.

          The boys in our centre eagerly availed themselves of this opportunity
          to vent a little of their pent-up irritation and to give generous
          advice on desired adjustments in behaviour, which will most certainly
          end up unheeded. The girls were less revealing in their poetic
          expressions and did not prod too much into sensitive areas - bless
          their hearts.

          It was all good fun.

          The next morning was reserved for bhajan singing, as Annemarie had
          compiled booklets with Guru's songs on the Christ. Matthijs' beautiful
          accompaniment on the harmonium augmented the lustre and divinity of
          Guru's songs. We closed the morning with a short meeting on the
          upcoming World Harmony Run and a sumptuous brunch with yoghurt and
          scrambled eggs on bread.

          In cheerful holiday spirits,

          Abhinabha
        • purna_samarpan
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2009
            Christmas in Hamburg.

            We held our Christmas Party on Sunday 21 of December here in Hamburg. Disciples from Berlin, Bremen, Rostock, Hannover and even Leipzig joined us for a wonderful Sunday in our Centre. Altogether 30 souls.

            We started around noon with silent meditation followed by singing of some of Guru's songs about the Christ.

            Afterwards we made groups of 3-4 people to perform later
            the Christ quotes that God the Father gives to Jesus while he is still in Heaven (as found in Sri Chinmoy's Book "The Son").

            Afterwards we had a most delicious buffet with cheese, bread, fruitbread, Christmas cookies, salads, eggs ,spicy drinks and many more items.

            After our stomach very full we started to practice for our small plays that were going to be the grand finale of the day later that evening.

            Before that we practiced for about an hour for our next music performance with "Northern Light". That was a real Joy Day!!

            And not to forget: in the evening Madal Bal Workers from Berlin and Hamburg went to an excellent Indian Restaurant called Jaipur for their Christmas Meal.

            Happy New Year

            Purna-Samarpan